Thread: 40/40 grind with sorby proedge

40/40 grind with sorby proedge

I would like to try a 40/40 grind on a bowl bowl gouge but have no idea if it can be done with my Proedge. Can’t seem to find any how to videos. Anybody have any suggestions or direct knowledge?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhlMQr7Hk0k Straight from the horse's mouth.

I don't know the system, but as long as you have a good flat platform with an adjustable angle relative to the wheel it's pretty straightforward. Set the angle relative to the wheel at 40 and draw lines on the platform at 40 relative to the face of the wheel and have at it per the many online tutorials. With a new tool I start with the tool upside down, flutes on the platform, and push straight in to set the top angle. Then grind the sides with the tool aligned with the angles you've drawn until any flats on the cutting edges along sides are gone. Finish by rotating the tool to connect the two sides across the nose. After a couple times it becomes intuitive. Watch the Youtube videos from Stuart Batty to see it done.

If there is a 40 degree setting on the Pro Edge, and you can platform sharpen, no problem. The angle is important, but can vary a couple of degrees and still cut fine. Main thing is being able to roll the tool enough, which is not easy with the sharpening jigs, which is why the 40/40 is done, most of the time, on a platform. Ron Brown has a jig for doing the 40/40, and it requires a 3 inch protrusion. Dennis Gooding found a way to do it with the Varigrind, and I read it in the Tips and Tricks part on the AAW Forums. Didn't make sense to me since I don't know how to use the Varigrind.

robo hippy

Cindy Drozda also has a video segment on doing the 40/40 grind on a platform. If you are not familiar with that grind it is always good to see how someone else does it besides Stuart. See her video starting at the 5:40 mark...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhEe...mucYhd&index=3
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

I have that in my sharpening video. There is a difference when sharpening a V flute like Thompson or D Way, and a parabolic flute. Mostly you round the nose and then do a quick flip to the wing with a V flute. If you don't do a quick enough flip to the wing, you get the bird's beak just off the rounded part of the nose. The parabolic flutes will have more of a round wing rather than straight.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I have that in my sharpening video.

robo hippy

This is the [Thanks Button], which I would press if this forum software had it...
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...