Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabinet or Drawers First?

Cabinet or Drawers First?

Curious as to which one to build first, cabinet or drawers. Should one size the drawers to the cabinet or vice versa? Always a dilemma for me. Easier to shave the drawer sides only if wider than the cabinet width obviously. Your thoughts and experience please. thanks

I always make the cabinet first, usually because it has to fit somewhere. Then I make the drawers and doors to fit the cabinet.

Charley

Cabinet first. Then you will know the exact of the drawers required depending on what slides you use. It's alway good to already have the slides when making the drawers. Then you know required clearance. Better yet, have the slides before you make the cabinet and incorporate the required clearances in the design of the cabinet if possible. I'm not a cabinet maker but have made enough to know how it works best for me.

If you are using manufactured drawer slides and can work to the necessary tolerances it doesn't matter which comes first. You should always have the hardware in hand, or at least detailed specs and confidence that you can get the specified hardware in time. If you have any doubts about the openings coming out the correct size, make the cabinet first. If you're making traditionally hung drawers guided by the case members you will want to cut the drawer parts to fit the case.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 08-05-2022 at 11:04 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    I always make the cabinet first, usually because it has to fit somewhere. Then I make the drawers and doors to fit the cabinet.

Charley
    That's what I do.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Cabinet first with very, very few exceptions. I do not pre-design a lot of the internal details...the exterior cabinet is made to fit the intended space and all that other stuff is measured directly off the cabinet carcass once it exists. That takes care of any and all variances. Drawer boxes are almost the last thing that gets designed/built (other than rough measurements for material planning) as they have to fit in the space and accommodate any hardware associated with the drawers. The drawer fronts are indeed, the last step.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Space is at a premium in my shop so when I build cabinets the flatwork comes first - face frames if any, trim, doors, drawer fronts and drawer parts,, then prefinishing, then carcass parts. Cases and hardware last, then out the door. Obviously it all has to be preplanned and accurately cut.

I do that same as you Kevin, in general, unless it’s only a few drawers / something tiny. I will do accurate pre-planning / cutting as well as sometimes dry fitting the case enough to verify those numbers (if it’s not an absolute PITA...), disassemble case, do all drawer, door, etc parts in order to have more space freed up for that work. I don’t do kitchen cabinets, though and am more doing ~ vanity sized projects in this realm.

I only have one assembly table and a roubo workbench (not that deep) and my shop is tiny so assembled boxes really clog up the space and workflow if they’re just sitting around while I’m making drawers, doors, etc.

Undermount drawer slides have a bit more tolerance than a piston fit drawer on runners. Depends on what you’re doing.
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 08-05-2022 at 2:42 PM.
    Still waters run deep.

I only built one set of cabinets, but quite a bit of furniture. I always build the cabinet first.

While I do not build a lot of cabinets, I do make a number of things that have drawers (e.g., desks). I always build the main item first then the drawers. I do this as a hobby and sometimes change my mind during the build . For example, the original design may have included a Euro style slide but later decided to go with full extension. Changes may require a modification in dimensions or may not , but in any case the drawers are built to fit the opening and hardware.

Largely repeating what others have said ..

Unless you plan to use drawer slides, where the tolerances for fitting a drawer are more flexible, it would be nigh-impossible to achieve a good fit for a drawer if that is built first. I do not use drawer slides unless for a kitchen, and consequently always build the cabinet first. This allows for a piston fit mating.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I now make the cabinets first.
    It wasn't always like that.

(I just got tired of having to remake the drawers)
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

If you have a well-drafted plan, and can build reasonably accurately, you should be able to build in any order...

Constructed /delivered 54 drawers for a massive kitchen a couple weeks ago. Now finishing up face frames, doors/drawer faces for staining. Once they're in the finishing room and out of the way, I'll make the cabinets.
    Seems a bit redundant, building cabs 100% complete on the bench, only to be dis-assembled and strewn about the residence during installation. Then, re-fitting them again to the now installed cabinets, which always need a little final tweaking once set in the home.

Why not just do it once at the jobsite? If your drafting is good and execution is accurate, drawers should fit just fine. Rarely have a problem in this regard, so decided to try out this theory for a more efficient workflow. Doors/drawer faces will be palletized, shipped flat, utilizing Hettich flip-lock cup hinges, so they don't need to be fastened to door until you grab each one for hanging.

Main goal is to get boxes set ASAP so countertop fabricator can template all the sooner, in hopes of compressing the time-line to completion. While he's fabricating, we can populate boxes on site.
    This urgent need for time-compression is applicable whether you're building entirely for yourself, full on commercial production for a client as described, but most especially if you happen to outsource drawers.
    We'll see how it goes.
    Last edited by Jeff Roltgen; 08-07-2022 at 12:34 PM.

Easier to sand, plane, shim etc drawers, so ... I make cabinet first.

Very hard to rework the box and partitions.
    Regards,

Tom

i make the doors, drawers, drawer fronts, and face frames - all inset - long before i consider making the carcasses. but, it's taken me a while to get to this point where i can confidently trust my design and process to know that my spreadsheets are perfectly accurate.