Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood splitter

Wood splitter

Hi, just wondered if anyone tried one of these. Seems like a low use log splitter if it would work. They are powered by drill, assume heavy duty one.
    A US High Speed Twist Firewood Drill Bit Wood Splitter Screw Splitting Cone Driver
    Thanks
    Bob
    Couldn't reduce picture so here is a link to one.

link on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/35312489451...QAAOSwdTRe--95

How will you anchor the drill so it does not twist? They made ones for cars that boleted on in place of a rear wheel. If the wood was tough they could lift the car up off the jack and drop it on the users feet. For some reason they are no longer made.
    BILL D

Go five minutes in to see it in action
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89O6j1SOUVs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E4G...D897D0&index=8
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 08-04-2022 at 10:49 AM.

Blog Entries
    If you are using wood for heat, you don't want something that is low use.

The threaded cone may work on some wood, but is likely to get stuck in a round just as much as it only starts a split and has to be finished with some wedges & a sledge.

I like splitting with an axe or a maul. My wife decided to buy me a hydraulic splitter, she was worried about me overdoing myself.

The splitter gets cranked up if there is a lot to split but when she ain't looking I like swinging the maul.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Some years ago, one morning when we arrived at an old house we were working on, a Hickory tree has been blown over by a storm. I went to Lowes and bought the most similar thing they had to the link I'm posting below. I had two men helping me then. That evening, on the way home, they both wanted to stop by Lowes and get one for themselves. They both heat with wood, and split everything by hand.

This is light enough to not only not tire you out too much, but allows a higher swing speed.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Project-Sou...ter/5001386929

I was thinking the one I bought was a Collins, but not exactly sure. It was very similar to that one though.

Good luck with that. I bet it only works on the smallest and split-proniest of woods.

Not worth the risk to wrists.

I have no experience with this and nothing to add except: some species of wood split far easier than others. Also, some larger diameter and length chunks, especially pieces with big knots, crotch, twisty grain or interlocked grain can even give my 20-ton hydraulic splitter a workout.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    I had some fun with the grandkids one year.

Knowing in advance they were coming to visit a few large rounds were given some starting splits.

Then when the kids were nearby it could be set on a stump and a mighty swing would break it up into 8-10 hunks of firewood.

They were impressed by grandpa swinging an axe.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

From the ad pics, seems its intended use is to make kindling from already cut firewood. For that it probably works pretty good, and likely safer than an axe or hatchet, especially when having your young-uns helping...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    I agree with the others. It isn't likely to split a piece of a log that has any size to it. The Diameter is only 1-1/4" and you would need at least two sets of hands. One set to hold the drill and another set to keep the wood from rotating. I'm afraid I would have to see it in action before I would buy it.

It looks like it would be a good way to:
    1. Burn out a drill.
    2. Break or sprain a wrist.
    3. Spend a lot of time trying to get it back out , when it gets stuck.
    4. End up with a bruised shin.
    5. Make your wallet lighter.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 08-04-2022 at 2:19 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Like others I think they would only work with small easy to split stuff. I would get one of these instead if I didn't have a lot to split and it was smaller stuff.
    31WsmP0lUwL._AC_.jpg
    I did find a few videos from people trying to split tougher wood with them.

A second video since you can only have one per post.

I watched part of the second video. It looks like more work than an axe to me, even with a big spade handle tailed drill.

I'd likely opt for something like Alex shows or a small electric splitter. Easier, faster, less chance of having to get something unstuck that got stuck, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In the first vid, fast fwd to the 8:00 mark, by 8:45 the 'issue' shows up with the cordless drill. Doesn't get much better with a healthy drill, either...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle