Thread: is the Bosch 1295 supposed to spin freely?

is the Bosch 1295 supposed to spin freely?

I just changed an old backing pad on a Bosch 1295 dvs Random Orbit Sander. The new one spins freely and I don't know if that means it's broken. Is it supposed to do that?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Brian - don't know if this helps but I have an old 1250 DEVS dual mode sander (looks like Festool Rotex) and on aggressive mode it does not turn freely but in non-aggressive mode it can be turned pretty easily.

I don't have that model. Sanders typically have a rubber "brake" that rubs on the pad. Slows pad down when it is off the workpiece so it does not gouge as to engage it. Is yours worn? or did you for get to reinstall?

Regards,

MK

Great sanders - have used them for many years, and went through several. There is a small disc in between motor housing and pad that is supposed to keep it from free-wheeling. When it wears out, if you hold it off the surface and fire it up, it can really build some crazy-high RPM's. As long as you start the motor when it's resting on the workpiece, you'll be okay, but good idea to replace that brake "pad". You could get a heck of a gouge if it free-wheels prior to contacting workpiece. Tolerance is such that an older pad with more wear could see a reduced amount of braking after a pad change, as you described. Might be time to replace both the brake pad and backing pad.

jeff