Thread: Road signs

Road signs

I wanted to ask is just me and my older eyes or are traffic signs almost too reflective? We were on vacation in the wilds of Maine where it is DARK. Even with regular beams the signs glare so much I couldn't see past them. Living in the suburbs there is always additional light so it's not so much of a problem. I notice around here mostly when it's raining and the road is wet. What is your take?

Blog Entries
    The newer signs are much more visible at night, they fade with age. Us older folks like them that way.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Headlights are a lot brighter than they used to be, too.

I think the material used has made "improvements" over the years. There's a few around here that are so reflective you can't even see what the sign is.

I remember reading a study that found a signs reflectiveness didn't play much role in how easy it was to read. Yet at the same time there was a push to make them as reflective as possible. The end result was signs that were harder to read and made it harder to see the road. The study suggested that signs that weren't needed should be removed and to limit the reflectiveness. That was about 5 or 6 years ago and I've noticed new signs seem to not be as bad as ones that are 10 or so years old.

Signs have 2 'parts', the text and the background. Only ONE of them should be reflective, such as green and white freeway signs (lettering reflects) or speed limit signs (background reflects). When both reflect there's no contrast as everything appears white...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Signs have 2 'parts', the text and the background. Only ONE of them should be reflective,...
    That might be helpful. But I don’t know exactly what technology they use now and if it could be reasonably adapted to two reflective zones. Road signs use retroreflectors that bounce incoming light directly back towards the source, the headlights of the car (and the driver). They used to coat signs with tiny glass or plastic beads but I then switched to a retro reflecting sheet applied over the sign. If still using that, perhaps the letters could be cut out, which seems tricky, or some new method used.

I’ve noted the brighter signs but for some reason I can still read them ok. I wonder if differences in vision could be an issue. For example, I know some who reported experiencing increased glare after cataract eye surgery which might make reading the print difficult. Others also have problems with contrast. My wife can no longer drive at night or in conditions such as rain or haze which reduce contrast enough that she can’t read any signs, day or night!

JKJ

I can read them fine. It's not being able to see what's behind them I don't like. Which way does the road turn? Is there a deer or person in the road?

Blog Entries
    Driving at night is back to normal for me now that I have had both of my cataracts removed. Dealing with discomfort from dust, pollen, and worst of all fiberglass is a new challenge. I can drive at night but if you want me to go into your attic I am going to need the next day off to recover.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 08-04-2022 at 11:03 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Down in southern Florida some places have street signs that appear illuminated from the inside. Finally a street sign that I can easily read at night. Wish there were more of these around my area.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    ...if you want me to go into your attic I am going to need the next day off to recover.
    You can come visit. Our house is a timber frame and has no attic. Might want to stay out of the dusty barn and shop though.

JKJ