Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stupid Chisel Question

I have the LN chisels as well. SOP for me is to pick up the chisel and give the handle a rap on the bench. One of the things i like about the sockets is I have one of the long handles and there are times I prefer that long handle to the standard and it is simple to alternate.

I have just about all the sizes of LN socket chisels as these are by far my favorite chisels I've used. The balance is so nice and the steel is just about perfect for easy re-sharpening but lasts long enough. I have had these chisels for over ten years at this point and still love them like I did when I got my first LN. I also live in Maine where humidity swings between summer and winter are very drastic and I never have issues with the handles falling off. If I want the handle off just a few wacks on my bench top and it pops right off. I really like this feature of socket chisels and prefer it over tang style. Most tang style chisels seem a bit off in the balance, other than Japanese chisels. I also love the feel of Japanese chisels but I just don't like the laborious task of sharpening them.

As Jim mentioned it is all about the fit of the handle into the socket. You should be able to mark up the inside of the socket with pencil lead and pound the handle in. You should see where the high spots on the handle are and knock those down. The other tip about removing a bit of the tip is also a good one. Your handles might be bottoming out before making a good fit. A tapered socket should give you a really secure fit that lasts for some time. Morse taper drill chucks NEVER fall out unless you want them to, this is not by accident.

When you install the handle in the socket, hold onto the chisel as tight as you can and wack the handle hard! Obviously only hard enough that you don't lose your grip of the chisel but the taper of the socket should enable you to get a really tight grip. That's how I insert my handles and I never have them fall off, and I mean never. My chisel rack supports the chisels by the metal socket and not the handle, this is very important to keep in mind! Like I said, I love my LN chisels and always pick those up over any other brand I own. I own 1 offs of Veritas (PMV-11), Blue Spruce, Two Cherries, multiple different Japanese chisels, Ashley Iles, and multiple different antiques.
    Last edited by Tony Shea; 08-08-2022 at 11:34 AM.

Blog Entries
    Here is one thing to check when installing a handle on a socket chisel, lightly insert the tenon in to the socket. Then wiggle it back & forth every which way. There should be no looseness. If there is, that means your taper is not correct or the socket may be damaged.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Maybe just USE the chisel..
    Planes and jigs, mortise chisel.JPG
    Haven't had any issues with this one...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Blog Entries
    Haven't had any issues with this one...
    Just the one?

Since taking a little time to fine tune the fit on my socket chisels there hasn't been a problem with any of them:

Not with the Buck Bros or the various makers of my short chisels:

Buck Bros & Butt Chisels.jpg

Though the three crank neck chisels have tang handles.

Not with my spare or special chisels or gouges:

Extra Chisels Drawer.jpg

Two or three of these are tang handled chisels or gouges.

Looks like there is a socket without a handle, may need to make one when time allows and post on making it fit to stay.

Not in my box of chisels & gouges:

Box of Socket Chisels & Gouges.jpg

There are a lot of gouges in with the chisels. All of these are socket chisels & gouges with a few tanged mortise chisels in the mix.

All of these are gouges with tangs except the one socket without a handle.

Socket Chisel Need Handle.jpg

The empty socket is most likely on a gouge. Another one to use for a demonstration on fitting a socket handle when time allows.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-08-2022 at 11:40 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I have the L-N chisels for years and all I would suggest, in addition to the above good advice, is to be careful with them if handling one that has not been used for awhile. I always try to pick them up by the socket, rather than the handle. This helps avoid the two separating and the blade heading to the floor. This is also a good reason to not work in sandals. This all reminds me that it is time to again follow the suggestions in the preceding posts. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    I have the L-N chisels for years and all I would suggest, in addition to the above good advice, is to be careful with them if handling one that has not been used for awhile. I always try to pick them up by the socket, rather than the handle. This helps avoid the two separating and the blade heading to the floor. This is also a good reason to not work in sandals. This all reminds me that it is time to again follow the suggestions in the preceding posts. Thanks.
    Good advice Mike. We work with tools that can be very dangerous.

We should never work with our tools when we are not able to give our full attention to working safely.

In the Make a Joint Stool book there is one image of a blade being set or removed from a wood body plane. The caption says something to the effect of one only has to have a blade falling from the plane towards their foot once to teach them about always keeping the tool above the bench during this procedure.

So do your best to ensure a socket chisel handle is fit properly but always treat it as if you suspect the handle and chisel might separate.

jtk

A rack of user chisels...
    The Chisel Rack.JPG

And...what got used, today...
    Working Tuesday 2, mortise tools.jpg
    for 8 mortises...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post

I also pick socket chisels up by the socket, for precisely that reason. A really good habit to get into.

If one does come at your toes, I don't think shoes will offer much protection against a razor sharp chisel falling from 3 feet up, though.

Another really good habit to get into was taught to me by my Filipino Martial Arts instructor. You see, we practice disarming bladed weapons. The two things I was taught very quickly were to:

1. When you or your opponent are disarmed / somebody loses hold of a weapon, promptly slip your lead foot out of the way of the falling weapon.
    And,
    2. Don't ever get in the habit of disarming your training partner, and then handing the weapon back to him. If you retain it, put it down on the floor and let him pick it up.

#1 has come in handy... I've saved my toes multiple times just by being aware that something is falling, and instinctively doing that footwork. It's a sort of awareness that you build, and then it happens automatically.

In regards to #2, well, you do what you train to do. There are more than a few stories of people defending themselves against a blade, and handing it back to their attacker without thinking... Are those stories true? No idea. Not keen to find out the hard way.
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 08-10-2022 at 11:16 PM.