Thread: Lathe Lamp LED replacement module

Lathe Lamp LED replacement module

Does anyone have an idea where I can get a replacement LED bulb/module for a Penn State Industries lathe light? This one just barely flickers. Penn State doesn't carry a replacement module. (and they were pretty rude when I called and asked about it.)

This is the light
    PS light.jpg

This is the bulb module. 3 LED diodes on a round disc.
    LED lamp.jpg

My guess is that you can buy a replacement light for the price of parts. Just guessing of course.

What about one of those HF flashlights they sometimes give away or sell for next-to-nothing? Looks to be of a similar size. Otherwise, good luck. Richard may well be spot-on with his assessment.

Walmart has 40 lumen goose neck LED lamps for 10 bucks. Glue a magnet to the base and go.

https://www.amazon.com/Machine-Light...491491&sr=8-19

only $25 and the same watts. PSI sells it for $90.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki Hayden View Post

Have to be careful here. Two of the pictures show a magnetic base, but this model says it mounts with 4 screws. A magnetic base version in $66

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki Hayden View Post

I bought one of those to try. Mine came with a magnetic base for some reason. The light is ok but the gooseneck is shorter than the other, similar, lamps I have around the shop. Too short IMO. Inexpensive, though.

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

Richard, I was hoping to be able to find just the LED module. I wouldn't think that would be $80 just by itself.

Walter, I don't know which HF flashlight you are talking about but I don't think any of them are a 2" diameter and 700-900 lumens and 12volt. but I can check into it.

Perry, I will check walmart out for other options but 40 lumens just isn't very bright. This one was rated around 700lumens.

Vicki, thanks for the amazon link. Looks similar. But, the gooseneck is only 19" I have seen similar lamps with longer gooseneck but the price jumps up.

JKJ, I agree. the gooseneck is too short. The longer the gooseneck gets the higher the price.

I was hoping to find a source for just the LED module for $40 or less. If I spend more than that I might as well buy a whole new light.

Anyone else have any potential sources for a replacement LED module - not the whole lamp??

Quote Originally Posted by Ricc Havens View Post
    ….

Anyone else have any potential sources for a replacement LED module - not the whole lamp??
    I also have an expensive (long) gooseneck light with a failed module. In my case both the LED circuit and the supply went bad at the same time. My plan is to disassemble the cheap one from Amazon and use the parts to restore the expensive one. They appear to have equivalent light heads and output. I have soldering equipment and i’m not afraid to use it. 😀

JKJ

I purchased a sewing machine LED light from Amazon for about twenty bucks, as I recall? It has a strong magnetic base and it's goose neck too. It's really bright and I have been well pleased. Check it out.

Maybe this place has something. Did you do a Google search already? https://www.ledsupply.com/leds/cree-...0aAoQ6EALw_wcB

JKJ - that's an idea. I have soldering equipment too but maybe not quite the skill or fearlessness that you have!!:-)

Richard, I did do a quick google search with the letters/numbers on the LED and didn't find anything, Thanks for the link I will check it out.

Harold, I have a couple of those on m,y drill press and bandsaw. But, haven't seen any "sewing machine" lights with a long gooseneck for the lathe. Most of them have a short gooseneck.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Ricc Havens; 08-04-2022 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricc Havens View Post
    ... But, haven't seen any "sewing machine" lights with a long gooseneck for the lathe. Most of them have a short gooseneck.
    Thanks!
    I haven't seen one I was happy with either, and I've bought several. Maybe it's something about the eyes dimming with age but I simply want more light. I do use them on the metal lathe along with other lamps.

I did a photo test once with a bright LED light from Woodturners Wonders on the left and on the right a "good" sewing machine light. Both are the same distance away from and aimed at a plywood wall behind my sharping station. Both have magnetic bases. The sewing machine light does spread the light far more than the focused bright LED lamp.

Lights_SN_sewing.jpg

I use multiple lights at the lathes (plus the overhead fixtures which I often leave off):

lights_IMG_20160811_092859_.jpg lights_IMG_20160811_092917_.jpg

JKJ