Thread: Stains and finishes for lumber outdoors? NOT preserved wood.

Stains and finishes for lumber outdoors? NOT preserved wood.

I'm making a very large outdoor plant stand to house my houseplants on my deck for the summers. Rather like a multi-shelf baker's rack in appearance.
    If the wood is left UNfinished, it will get stained from the constant water, spilled soil, etc. I'll be watering with the hose.

I'm mostly familiar with oil based indoor stains and varnishes from woodworking projects. Stains that soak in to the wood. Apply, wipe, let dry, reapply if needed. Top coated with oil based poly or other varnishes.
    But I'm assuming that outdoor projects need something different. We were not able to find the right lumber in preserved wood. So we had to buy ordinary pine lumber; a nicer grade.

Ideally, if I can find the right product, I'd stain this plant rack dark to medium grey to coordinate with our light grey aluminum siding, or a medium brown. (Some color that won't show spilled soil or water marks). Then some top coat to seal the wood, non-shiny. Satin or matte. Unless there is some all-in-one product that works.

So what stain or finish will actually protect lumber used outdoors? Or use Thompson water seal or a similar product on top of the stain? Can it be used that way?

Someone on a DIY site suggested a powder you mix with water, Eco wood preserver. But reviews I read say it continues to leach out every time it gets wet, and will stain the deck. That would bother me, so I'm steering away from that now.

I am not a woodworker, just someone who makes a lot of home improvement projects and refinishes furniture, and I don’t have access to anything specialty. I can’t spray a finish; it will have to be applied with brush or roller.

So I'd very much appreciate your advice. Thanks!

I should add - The stain we chose for our deck turned out really ugly. My husband replaced the surface boards on our deck 2 years ago. Preserved wood, that greenish stuff. He just didn't want to wait for the green color to weather.

He decided to stain it last year, and the outdoor stain was awful. Semi-Transparent stain in Redwood. It sits on top like paint. It's already wearing off and chipping. We both hate it.

In my mind, stain can't wear off. It should soak in. So if that's what outdoor stain does, I need something different.

You can use any exterior grade semi-opaque or opaque stain for your project. If you can, try to get small samples so you can TEST the color(s) on your particular wood. Stain does need to be renewed from time to time and should cover all surfaces for best results. And it's important that you made sure that 1) any moisture from watering and precipitation can drain off and away from your plant stand (don't make it perfectly level) and 2) the wood is not in contact with the deck, patio or ground directly. Put some composite pads/feet on it to make sure that the wood is never sitting in moisture.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks! Having had a bad experience with the stain we applied to our deck, that's made me extra cautious. But this is new, unweathered lumber, so maybe if we can choose something transparent and penetrating, it will work out better.

That's a very good idea about the composite pads under the feet. The base will be 3 2 x 4's, screwed at right angles to the long horizontals. I wanted to make sure I could get a broom under to sweep out leaves and debris. Don't want to make a home for mice if I can help it.

What would you suggest for the composite pads?

You can just use the inexpensive "bang on with a hammer" nylon furniture glides. The idea is to keep the wood off any surface below it. Water is your enemy, especially given you're using untreated wood.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Oh, perfect. That's easy.

EDIT : I just realized that the whole weight of the of the 75" tall, 5 foot wide rack, the ceramic pots on it, and wet soil would be resting on maybe 6 small points along the 3 2 x 4's that are the base. It's potentially 200 pounds. I'd rather have the weight distributed more evenly using something larger.
    Last edited by Linnea Lahlum; 08-03-2022 at 3:40 PM. Reason: realized something new

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-19...52414987&psc=1

I used that product on a white oak bench. It made the white oak a very, very dark brownish black. Don't know what it would do on plain pine, probably turn it greenish. If you prepped the pine with tannic acid, then I bet it would turn the very, very dark brownish black color - which probably isn't what you want either.