Thread: Diesel Gas Card

Diesel Gas Card

Admins, if this inappropriate, please delete.

So tomorrow, I pick up a used 5th Wheel Trailer. As part of this new adventure, for us, I also picked up a new 2022 GMC 3500HD Duramax Diesel truck last week.

The guy who we are buying the 5th Wheel from turned me onto this EFS Fleet Fuel Card.

Today I filled up at a gas station, that participates in the fleet program. The price at the pump was $4.69 a gallon. I paid $4.33 a gallon using the fleet gas card.

You have to go through the pumps where the big commercial tractor trailers fill. You can usually also fill up with DEF there.

You use the card, just like a debit/credit card at the pump, supplying a PIN, or in my case, there was not reader at the pump so I just paid inside with the card.

The company has an app called OpenRoads which shows all the truck stops and gas stations that are part of the fleet program, this includes Pilot, Love's, TA and many more. It also shows you todays price per gallon.

Setting this up is all done online. You do have to attach a checking account to your card. I have a secondary checking account which I use for things like ticketmaster or similar when I am reselling tickets or moving money through Venmo. I keep a small balance in this account. The company direct debits the gas you buy a day or two after you fill your tank. The app shows you all the details of your transactions.

The cost of this is, they take 5% of the amount you save.

The card is a TSD Logistics Inc, TSD Open Roads card. It was setup for Rv's and they basically add you to their fleet account, which allows you to purchase fuel at their discount fleet price.

So today on my first use, I saved $7.94 on 21 gallons.

There are plenty of YT videos, mostly RV'ers, using this method.

Here's the link https://myopenroads.com
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 08-02-2022 at 10:05 PM.

Is the $7.94 before or after the 5% vig?

No reason I can think of this subject would be inappropriate?

We have an older 40' Allegro Bus which thankfully was built before 'blinker fluid' ( )

-- how to save some money fueling the thing up (or any other thing!) is welcome
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Nice truck. I'm still driving the first model Duramax dually that I bought new in November of 2000. 360,000 miles. The new ones are really much nicer, but this one has been paid for coming up on 22 years, and still does what I need it to. It's one of the few things I ever bought that ended up being way better than I thought it would.

The first thing I did with mine was put a 56 gallon aftermarket fuel tank in it to replace the stock tank. It's a metal one. We can go anywhere we want on a weekend without having to stop for fuel.

I hate to part with it since it's an '01, and that was the last year diesels didn't have an EGR system, or even a catalytic converter, as well as no use for DEF. I get 18.8 mpg average for my use, which involves pulling a trailer not quite half the time. Truck weighs 7,400 pounds.

It doesn't get used enough to worry about where to buy fuel. I put some fuel in it last week because I hadn't put any in since the Olympics were running in Feb. It had only been driven 435 miles. Appreciate the info on the card though.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 08-02-2022 at 3:16 PM.

Blog Entries
    I also picked up a new 2022 GMC 3500HD Duramax Diesel truck last week.
    Mine is a 2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax Diesel truck, probably pretty much the same thing. About the only thing I don't like about it is the side mirrors block some of the visibility to the sides.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

For Kev, here's a snapshot of my transaction. I can't make the math fully work between the 5% and 10% stated on the transaction.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 08-02-2022 at 5:01 PM.

I can't make 5% fit anywhere in those numbers either, but the actual end-result discount works out to a hair over 7%, and anything helps!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Unclear is this gasoline or diesel or both?
    Bill D

Right now it's just diesel, but they are supposedly going to offer this for gas in late 2022 according to their YT videos.

There is also a free phone app called Mudflap that gives you discounts at a number of truck stops. They tend to be concentrated in the Midwest though. Sometimes the discounts are decent and other times the price after discount can be higher than elsewhere.

Today I filled up at a truck stop in VA, that was an experience. Lined up with about 10 other tractor trailers.

I watched the truck, in front of me put $1035.02 worth of fuel in.

I filled my truck, used my card for the second time, price at the pump was $135.03, I paid $111.89, saved $23.82 after the TSD Fee.