Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MillRight?

MillRight?

Anyone here have experience or otherwise informed thoughts on the Millright CNC woodworking machines, and in particular, the Power Route Plus? From the marketing material, this looks like a well built machine that should have good rigidity, accuracy and repeatability, for a reasonable price. Also largely American Made. They don't come with software, or a computer and screen to drive, and I'm not crazy about the DeWalt router, but otherwise, this looks like a good, high-end benchtop CNC. Am I missing anything?

The one thing I could not find on the site is what controller software they use. The software that "does not come with" refers to the CAD/CAM applications to draw and produce toolpaths, etc. But the machine does come with a controller. Maybe I just didn't see it. But I'd sure want to know what that software is because it can affect capability and performance.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The one thing I could not find on the site is what controller software they use. The software that "does not come with" refers to the CAD/CAM applications to draw and produce toolpaths, etc. But the machine does come with a controller. Maybe I just didn't see it. But I'd sure want to know what that software is because it can affect capability and performance.
    Jim,

I think their default plan is that you use Fusion both to design and generate g-code, and then use Universal G-Code Sender to get the code to their controller. I'm reasonably certain the control software is GRBL, based on the posts on their forum (and their obvious allergy to software that costs money).

Personally, I'm not a fan of Fusion 360 for generating g-code and I'm not at all certain that I would stick with their "no cost" approach to the software side.

Interesting if it's GRBL which I've typically only see on smaller very entry level devices. The "throw away" laser thingie I bought (and forgot about due to the, move, etc.) uses it. If I were a buyer, I'd probably be more comfortable if it came with at least Mach4, especially given their (reasonable) prices for the machines and their sizes, especially the larger ones. But that's me.

There will always be "that debate" around what software to use for creation and toolpathing. Fusion360, at least at first, is attractive to many folks because the "hobby" version is still no-cost. But folks also have to determine what they want to do as well as what/how they want to cut...there was some feature deprecation in the "free" version awhile back. How that affects an individual, I cannot comment, and while I don't recall the details of what fell out, I do remember thinking that at least one of two of the things that were removed would have affected my particular CNC machines, capability. (again, I don't recall the specifics now. So honestly, I think you are wise to not "jump" at free software because the prices is attractive. There are other choices that might be better for what you want to accomplish, even if they come with a cost. I'm in the Vectric world and am very happy with the software and the company. Had I known about it back in the beginning, I might have made a serious look at Rhinoceros because I do like some of the modeling things that it does. Given the learning curve, take the time to really figure out which software is best for you. There are lots and lots of videos about feature and that provide training and that can really help with the decision.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Have you looked at and compared Millright to OneFinity?

John

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    Anyone here have experience or otherwise informed thoughts on the Millright CNC woodworking machines, and in particular, the Power Route Plus? From the marketing material, this looks like a well built machine that should have good rigidity, accuracy and repeatability, for a reasonable price. Also largely American Made. They don't come with software, or a computer and screen to drive, and I'm not crazy about the DeWalt router, but otherwise, this looks like a good, high-end benchtop CNC. Am I missing anything?
    Steve - irrespective of the price, that looks like a quite capable little machine. The GRBL/Arduino combination is quite capable of running stepper motor driven machines such as this one. I did a DIY build several years ago of a similar machine and have run with g-code generated from both Fusion 360 and VCarve Pro with similar results. I will say that I much prefer VCarve Pro for its ease of use for creating woodworking tool paths (compared to Fusion 360).

Both Fusion 360 and VCarve Pro will generate the compatible g-code for GRBL. I prefer to use Candle CNC (free) for loading and sending the g-code to the machine as well as the general control interface to the machine.

candle cnc.jpg

There are also inexpensive alternatives to the Dewalt router - water cooled spindles and so on. I mounted one of the Dewalt 611 routers to mine, but it is pretty loud and if I used it a lot I would be thinking about converting to a spindle.

David

I looked into their machines when I was looking to purchase. I don't remember too much about them though. What I would look at is how the gantry moves. Is it on wheels? Is it on linear slides? Etc? Anything that wears quickly will cause inaccuracies so you'll be replacing parts often.

$5,700 is quite expensive for a 2' square machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    $5,700 is quite expensive for a 2' square machine.
    Richard - I was sort of thinking the same thing. For the same price, I could order the Avid 48x24 complete with nema 23 motors, controller, proximity sensors, cabling, Mach4, and router mount. I've got two of the Avid Pro machines here at the shop - Pro 4848 and Pro 4824 - both with spindles, and they are quite capable machines. For a hobby level 2x2 machine, there may be better/less expensive choices.
    David

I'm not sure how you figure that. A 2' X 4' Avid Pro is $4500 for the 3 axis chassis alone, unassembled. Add an Avid controller and spindle. Add an Avid Spindle and the electronics, and you're right at $10,000 unassembled. That's a significantly larger and more powerful machine, to be sure, but also more than twice the price.

THe comparable Avid machine, their 2' X 2' desktop, when configured with a table, electronics and router mount is almost exactly the same price as the Millright (in kit form) I asked about, but still sans a router / spindle. And you've got, I think (interested in thoughts on this), a significantly less rigid machine with rack and pinion rather than ball screw drive on the X and Y. I don't know which is the better machine overall, but the Avid is clearly not a less costly approach.

The OneFinity X-50 Woodworker has a 32 x 32" cut area. It costs $2329 with the controller. Add a display, or spare laptop like I did, a Makita palm router, the X-Y-Z probe, and a joypad and you are at or under $3K. Add a spindle and you are still under $3500, or $4K if you spring for a German made one. Nema 23 motors, including on both Y-axis rails, and ballscrews on all axis. You will not find more machine for the money.

John

I'm not sure how you figure that. A 2' X 4' Avid Pro is $4500 for the 3 axis chassis alone, unassembled. Add an Avid controller and spindle. Add an Avid Spindle and the electronics, and you're right at $10,000 unassembled. That's a significantly larger and more powerful machine, to be sure, but also more than twice the price.

THe comparable Avid machine, their 2' X 2' desktop, when configured with a table, electronics and router mount is almost exactly the same price as the Millright (in kit form) I asked about, but still sans a router / spindle. And you've got, I think (interested in thoughts on this), a significantly less rigid machine with rack and pinion rather than ball screw drive on the X and Y. I don't know which is the better machine overall, but the Avid is clearly not a less costly approach.
    Not talking about the pro. I'm talking about the standard series.
    https://www.avidcnc.com/standard-cnc...s-c-46_29.html
    Go ahead and click on the link, then add in the controller kit, proximity sensors, etc.
    David

Nonetheless, you're still well over the price of the Millright, @ $5000 for a kit without a spindle. Add in even an unsupported (by Avid) spindle from the a la cart market, and you'll be at $5400+. The Millright price, with the router, is $4200 (to get to $5700, you have to buy the assembled version with the 4th axis). The Avid may be a better machine or value - that's why I'm asking questions here - but an Avid is easily 25% more money.

Steve - I may have mentioned that I own several of the Avid Pro series, but I was talking about the Avid Standard series as far as price comparison. So about the same price- and up for debate which machine would be the better choice.
    David

I had a GRBL machine and it was a Joke. Get a machine with a real made for CNC controller it can be Acorn, Mach4 or other designed for machine control. Yes the Avid CNC machines are good worth the money and hold the resale value.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10