Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MillRight?

MillRight 25" x 25" - $4199 in kit form plus shipping. The literature doesn't mention anything about limit switches that I could find. The kit does include a DeWalt router.

Avid Standard 48" x 24" - $5486 in kit form plus shipping. This price includes proximity sensors, router mount (no router) and Mach4.

Ball screw vs. rack and pinion - which is better? That may be open for debate.

If you budget is $4500, then perhaps go with the MillRight and let us know how it turns out for you.

If you are ok with spending an additional $1200 or so, then the Avid may be a way to go.

Please report back if you purchase either one of these and let us know how your new machine works out for you.

Thanks,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    Anyone here have experience or otherwise informed thoughts on the Millright CNC woodworking machines, and in particular, the Power Route Plus? From the marketing material, this looks like a well built machine that should have good rigidity, accuracy and repeatability, for a reasonable price. Also largely American Made. They don't come with software, or a computer and screen to drive, and I'm not crazy about the DeWalt router, but otherwise, this looks like a good, high-end benchtop CNC. Am I missing anything?
    Just curious why you asked for input, you seem completely sold on the Millwright. Have you ordered one?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Just curious why you asked for input, you seem completely sold on the Millwright. Have you ordered one?
    I was wondering the same thing. I had never even heard of the Millright brand, and it makes perfect sense to me to do a comparison with other cnc routers in that price range.
    David

I'm looking. Not sold on any particular manufacturer at this point. I had not seen Millright mentioned in any of my research, so thought I'd plumb the wisdom of this forum, since there is usually someone here who knows something about just about anything.

I'm curious why you think I'm sold? I challenged David's assertion comparing Millright to Avid, because I couldn't make the numbers work out the way he sid they did, not because I wanted to carry water for Millright.

$5,700 is quite expensive for a 2' square machine.
    My numbers were right on based on Richard's price quote for an assembled machine. From what I have seen at the Millright website, I believe the Avid standard series to be a much more robust machine with superior hardware, controller, and software.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    My numbers were right on based on Richard's price quote for an assembled machine. From what I have seen at the Millright website, I believe the Avid standard series to be a much more robust machine with superior hardware, controller, and software.
    David
    Avid or CNC Router Parts has a proven track record and has wonderful customer support. It uses Mach 4 a good control system with good support. I had a GRBL system and got tired of the constant blips. You can delete the Mach 4 option and go with a Acorn with software written by folks who do controls for a living. GRBL is hobby grade.

But if you value low price over dependability then do whatever you want.

BTW I use a Hitachi router, the noise level is about the same as the spindle I used on my larger long gone machine,
    Last edited by Bill George; 08-09-2022 at 9:01 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Avid or CNC Router Parts has a proven track record and has wonderful customer support. It uses Mach 4 a good control system with good support. I had a GRBL system and got tired of the constant blips. You can delete the Mach 4 option and go with a Acorn with software written by folks who do controls for a living. GRBL is hobby grade.

BTW I use a Hitachi router, the noise level is about the same as the spindle I used on my larger long gone machine,
    I switched out one of my Avid tables to Centroid Acorn controller with Centroid CNC12 software. It was quite a job, but worth the effort.
    David

I switched out one of my Avid tables to Centroid Acorn controller with Centroid CNC12 software. It was quite a job, but worth the effort.
    David
    As decent and capable that Mach4 is, Acorn is very much next level, IMHO. It's nice that the option is there to folks to do an upgrade like that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I am at a point in life where I do whatever I want, provided I am still ABLE to do it, pretty much exclusively ;-) I'm just gathering information here.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 08-11-2022 at 8:17 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tagging

Thanks all for the discussion here. I'm learning a lot.

Here's an option for a used CAMaster Stinger I SR-23 that's not far from you. It says 2x4 but he states it is a typo and is a 2x3. If it's still available.

https://www.camheads.org/forum/items...d-spindle-115v

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Here's an option for a used CAMaster Stinger I SR-23 that's not far from you. It says 2x4 but he states it is a typo and is a 2x3. If it's still available.

https://www.camheads.org/forum/items...d-spindle-115v
    Ronald, that looks like a pretty good deal, but I think Steve has indicated that his budget is more around $4000 or so. So probably out of his reach.
    David

Ronald, that looks like a pretty good deal, but I think Steve has indicated that his budget is more around $4000 or so. So probably out of his reach.
    David
    Agreed David. Sometimes if the seller is motivated there can be a meet in the middle type thing to. Just something to consider. Hope he finds what he's looking for.

I purchased my Power Route Plus back in February and am well pleased with the construction and operation. Note - this is my first Cnc for home but I do have a mechanical and tooling background. I mainly use mine to cut parts out of .060” aluminum and needed a stout machine for that use. A big, big plus for me was the ability to pick up the phone and have one of their techs answer on the other end. I really do have a problem with email only support. I use VCarve Pro and their site download G code sender. I’ve only completed two wood carving projects and was pleasantly surprised with the outcome.
    Trotec Speedy 100 30W
    CorelDraw 2023
    EngraveLab 9
    Sublimation
    MillRight CNC Power Route Plus
    Duct Tape
    WD40