Thread: Single phase tools in a three phase space?

Single phase tools in a three phase space?

Taking a look at renting a space today. All of the power is three phase which I am honestly inexperienced with. All of my tools are single phase and run out of my home, what kind of challenges/issues should I expect if I move into a rental with three phase power?

should wire up okay based on picture you posted of the site, should be wired 120/208 vac 3 phase already.
    might have to buy some new breakers depending on what is there versus what you have
    some of your 230 vac power tools might not be happy at 208 vac then you would need step up transformers
    good luck
    Ron

My thoughts are the same as Ron...shouldn't really cause you a problem, other than potentially needing a boost transformer for any sensitive tools. By example, the S315WS I previously owned needed a transformer added when the local power supply...ie, the old transformer on the pole...was dropping voltage "just enough" to cause it to trigger an automatic shutdown. While that was eventually resolved by the power company, it took a couple years for that to happen. (really) You could discuss this with a licensed electrician to determine what your options are.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I did what you’re considering: move from my 230-volt garage into rented space with 3-phase. It is 208 three phase. That is, the voltage between any two hots is 208. My table saw, bandsaw, and combo J/P, work on that 208. The cyclone wasn’t happy. It would run for an hour or so, and then the over-temp breaker would pop. A buck-boost transformer jacked its supply up to 230, and it is now happy. In retrospect, I maybe should have gotten a bigger transformer, and run all the big machines from 230.

You will be fine. i can't imagine the space has 3 phase outlets but no single phase outlets...you will not regret having access to 3 phase! Opens a world of opportunities for machines at good prices.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Blog Entries
    I do not have a whole lot of experience with 3 phase. I did work in an old building that still had its own transformers from before WW II, There were 2 legs that would provide 120 volts to neutral and 240 between the two, and one terrifying "High Leg" that was un useable for anything other than 3 phase (180 volts to ground). I had to be careful with breaker arrangements, every 3rd space was 180 volts.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 08-04-2022 at 11:17 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

A 'Stinger'.

Ours is 220, for 240 across any 2. Must be some other phasing for a 180 to do that. And, yeah, finding a convenient 120 slot in the box sometimes required being creative.

Never tried it, and hopefully will never be desperate (or dumb) enough to try, but I've wondered if the 220 and a neutral would work without issue.

A dry pack transformer with a center tap will allow you to pull 120/240 single phase off of your 3-phase service. Usually you can find a good used one for less than $500 and use it to feed a single phase panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Grass View Post
    A 'Stinger'.

Ours is 220, for 240 across any 2. Must be some other phasing for a 180 to do that. And, yeah, finding a convenient 120 slot in the box sometimes required being creative.

Never tried it, and hopefully will never be desperate (or dumb) enough to try, but I've wondered if the 220 and a neutral would work without issue.

The high leg of 240V 3Ø is 208V, not "220", and a standard circuit breaker absolutely cannot be on the high leg , since most are rated 120/240V and 208V exceeds the lower of the rating, while the voltage between the high leg and any other phase is 240V, unless a 2 pole breaker is rated 240V like a 3 pole is it cannot be used between the high leg
    & any other phase, they are expensive plus hard to find, a single pole 277V breaker theoretically could be used on the high leg, but those are pretty much bolt-on style breakers, there are a number of reasons why it cannot or should not be used though, the #1 reason being it's not intended to be used on it's own, tariffs can also come into play.