Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first chair, so far. An Irish-ish stick chair

My first chair, so far. An Irish-ish stick chair

My wife got me the stick chair book for Christmas. I read it and studied it for a while, as there is a lot of information to take in, but it offered approachable techniques for beginners.

After reading all the chapters on construction, the first chair is an Irish-y stick chair. It is Christopher Schwarz modern interpretation of an Irish stick chair.

green-irish-ortho-IMG_4024.jpg

I am not bashing/questioning Schwarz, but this chair I guess doesn't suit my taste. It looks too contemporary, maybe, for me.

This is an example of an antique Irish chair.

20192032_master.jpg

I guess I am shooting for something between the two. I don't want to build an exact reproduction but I also don't want it to look too modern. I guess that is kind of the beauty of stick chairs, is there is no hard set rules. Windsor chairs, for example, have certain requirements that have to be met for it to be a Windsor chair. I feel like stick chairs have more creative potential, as they were all made from whatever wood was available and there are no hard fast rules per se.

My chair started out life as a 8/4 piece of poplar. The seat is two piece, jointed and glued and I trimmed it to width. I rounded the front where the thighs rest with a spokeshave, and chamfered the bottoms with a plane. The back top has just the edge shaved off.

I used the template from the book for the mortice placement and sight lines, but I backed off the rake and splay from the original plans. I have more than a surviving example of these chairs but less than the book called for. I drilled 1/2" pilot holes with the auger and then used my tapered reamer to adjust for the legs to get them as equal as possible.

IMG_20220726_201731434.jpg
    IMG_20220731_180849035.jpg

I was going to try and split the legs from a stump of oak, but my poplar board had really straight grain so I decided to rip that into 2x2 legs and then chamfer them into octagons. I have a Veritas tapered tenon cutter so I used that to cut the tenon's. I am not sure if this is the best construction as the book called for a 1-1/4 strut leg but when I sat on it, it felt very solid. The book called for tapered legs, but I guess maybe in fear of minimizing potential for error I left mine stout.

IMG_20220731_181547791.jpg

So I guess right now I can't call it a chair, because it has no arms or back. I have essentially made a stool. However, as someone who has never built a chair, I am quite proud of my progress so far. I feel all the angles and construction has so far been a success. I am not sure if it will survive for centuries, but I hope it's better than a chair from Walmart.

Heard Schwarz mention he was going to visit on a padcast/interwiew, haven't seen anything more yet though.
    Here's a nice little video on the subject
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqeIRhDCEAg&t=9s

Jason, from my understanding, according to the basic definition of a Windsor this one fits!! Everything below the seat terminates in the seat and everything above the seat terminates in the seat. Essentially a stool with a back.

You are halfway into building your first Windsor!
    Last edited by John Keeton; 08-02-2022 at 1:54 PM.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Blog Entries
    Looks good so far.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Be proud. It's looking great. I rish you continued success.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 08-02-2022 at 4:34 PM.

Very nice stool/pre-chair. The Stick chair book is on my Christmas list and I am halfway through the biography of John Brown. Started carving the seat yesterday on a Walnut Rocker, I am making for my one year old (yesterday) grand-daughter. After this project is finished, I will be hopefully trying my hand at a chair myself.
    Good luck with the rest of the build!

IMG_20220803_181756078.jpg

Well tonight wasn't the most exciting progress, but it was progress.

I made a jig from the stick chair book that is both simple and genius. You are able to clamp it to the seat and then clamp the arm bow/arms to the jig so you can align and drill them.

Just need to get the sticks made and I can keep going.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Jason, from my understanding, according to the basic definition of a Windsor this one fits!! Everything below the seat terminates in the seat and everything above the seat terminates in the seat. Essentially a stool with a back.

You are halfway into building your first Windsor!
    I guess I never thought of it that way. When I think Windsor I think something like a sack back or comb back with turned legs and bent arms.

received_4794349744001693.jpeg

Well after some stressful hours and cussing, I am up to this point. I need to drill and ream mortises for the back rest, and then it's just wedging and gluing all the joints and then cutting the legs and it's on to finishing.

I do have a question for the more experienced craftsmen and chairmakers out there. When it comes to drilling the back, the two outside sticks are angled. The plans call for six degrees on the holes but I don't know if I trust myself to have drilled the back sticks that accurately for my first chair.

Should I take a bevel gauge and set it to the angle of each stick and drill the mortises to fit or is there a better method?

I agree with you about the Schwarz chair , it does NOT look like a an Irish chair . More like a chair from the Scots. They are known to be
    super thrifty and probably say “ Leavin’ out a stick …gets it done more quick. And SAVES a stick !!” But I don’t think it was Robert Burns who
    wrote that schtick !

If I recall this saying correctly,
    Build a chair and you get a reputation for a decade, longer if it's any good.

Chairs are a very finicky thing to get just right, some styles last centuries, some are best left in the shed but you have to try. Keep at it, looking good

Trust yourself.

Peter Galbert uses two mirrors, and angle gauge and a steel square strategically placed to guide his eye. This works very well.

If you are going to be making chairs, trust and train yourself to learn free handing the mortises.

Most times these sockets are tapered anyway, so as you are fitting your posts, you can adjust the rake and splay by leaning one way or another on the reamer.

Sneak-up-on-the-fit woodworking is so fun...

This is not the time to hurry. Imperfect angles may cause you some frustration and result in a crooked looking chair. And it may not sit well. Make a practice back and see how it goes, then plan your corrections for the finished one.

IMG_20220915_190854937.jpg

Well got the back done tonight. Everything is dry fit so now it's just glue and wedge everything, cut the legs flush, and paint.

And of course it's going to be green paint. It's an Irish inspired chair after all.

Blog Entries
    The first one is the hardest. Looks good, looking forward to see it painted and all.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)