Thread: New Fuji Q4 owner - what finish to spray??

New Fuji Q4 owner - what finish to spray??

Tried searching but having a hard time finding a rundown of the options for what I can spray for an old piece of furniture we have. Obviously I need to throughly de-wax and scuff the piece first but when I went to a local paint store they didn’t have much advice on what sprays well on furniture using a Q4. They ended up suggesting cabinet coat but wasn’t sure if that was a god option?

I was thinking General Finishes but worried the local shop won’t do tinting very well. So then I wondered if I would be better with something from Target Coatings like EM6600. In case it helps I have a BM color I want to use.

Any advice on what finish material would be well suited here? Thanks in advance!!

GF Milk Paint sprays well if you can accept any of the colors or are amicable to mixing two colors to get what you want. (they have a chart for that) It's not "milk paint"...that's just the name they use because the color assortment is representative of what actual milk paint typically was available in. For actual tining, I do like and use the Target Coatings EM6500 and typically use BM or SW color codes. They have been absolutely spot-on for those few times that it actually mattered to me. After you prep your workpiece, you may want to consider applying a very thin coating of wax free shellac unless you took it all the way to bare wood "just in case" there are any remaining contaminants there. The challenge with old furniture is with what folks used over time to "clean" it with, if you catch my drift...and some of those things are murder on finish adhesion.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Target will match any color from the major paint manufacturers in their EM6500 tinted lacquer. I did my son's bathroom cabinets in a Benjamin Moore blue this way.

I topcoated with EM8000cv with crosslinker for increased durability. Worked well.

I have the Q4. It sprays fine through the stock tip. What's it 1.3mm? You'll spray this tinted lacquer easier than a paint.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 08-02-2022 at 4:33 PM.

Dig around on the Fuji web site. There’s a page which relates the finish viscosity to the gun’s needle size. The viscosity is measured with a Ford cup, which probably came along with your Q4 system. I bet that your gun will want a larger needle than stock to spray paints, and you might have to thin the paint a bit. You can buy larger needles for your gun on many web sites, and thinning the paint is what that Ford cup tells you.

Thanks Jim, Prashun, and Jamie, soooooo helpful!

I ordered the Target Coatings mix and picked up some Zissner sealcoat (which I believe is the de-waxed shellac). Should I spray the Sealcoat or simply brush it on? And do I need to mix it with anything (some YouTube mentioned mixing with DNA but not sure why I would need to do that) ?

Thanks in advance! I've been reading posts on HVLP turbine systems for almost 5 years and finally managed to afford one, haha, so very excited and appreciative of the help!!
    Last edited by Chris McCapherey; 08-03-2022 at 11:55 AM.

Sealcoat can be sprayed "out of the can" with no issue. You want the thinnest coat possible. You shouldn't need to thin if you use the correct N/N in your gun. DNA can be used to reduce the Sealcoat if necessary, however, and it's what you use to clean up afterward.

Do note that the EM6500 is not a "thin" finish, so again, the proper N/N and gun settings will be necessary to get on properly. Be prepared to "burn some finish" testing and working on the settings, especially for the first time using the product. That goes for ANY product.
    --

That being said I had no trouble with it on my q4 with the stick tip.

(Edit). Oops I mean stock tip.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 08-06-2022 at 7:16 PM.

Good to know, Prashun. Sounds like a good gun setup.
    --

What is a stick tip?

I believe that's a special autocorrect version...but seriously, I think he mean "stock", not "stick".
    --

Jim, thanks. Should have caught that but I was thinking of something like a flat tip for an airless.

Thanks all, target coatings order just arrived today. So for spraying the shellac I have a 1.0,1.5, and 1.8 nozzle. Is that what you reference when you sat N/N? If so, which size is best (regardless if I own or should buy).

1.0mm N/N for wax free shellac would likely be my choice. If the gun is pressurized, the 1.5mm N/N "should" perform fine with the finish. The issue with authoritatively stating that "this size N/N" should work for x finish is that every gun is different so any recommendation is a starting point unless the individual making the recommendation owns and uses the same gun with the same finish. So treat my advice as guesses because I use a completely different gun that's not turbine driven. For "my" gun, I've used both a 1.3mm N/N and a 1.8mm N/N for these thicker finishes with success.
    --