Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baltic Birch Ply

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    A tariff (25% ?) was applied to imported lumber and the U.S. imports a lot of lumber products from Canada. I was hoping that tariff would have been pulled off by now.
    That's a softwood tariff and wouldn't affect Baltic birch plywood prices though.

Our store is selling 5x5 3/4" Baltic birch for $149.95 a sheet. 1/2" is $99.95. Pre-pandemic, 3/4" was about $50.

ApplePly is similar to BB and made in Oregon. Before the pandemic it was substantially more expensive than BB. I looked at their website and it says they are no longer accepting new orders because of high demand. Why would they lower the price if they are out of capacity or supply of raw material? It's going to take a crystal ball to decide if BB is going to be available again in the next year or so or whether the supply is gone for good. No one is going to gear up a new plant w/o knowing the answer.

John

ply story might have been me. Part owner of a company close by said they decided to try a lift from China. Said it stunk so bad they left it outside. Then months later they decided to cut into a sheet and he said they found an underwear band inside. Also a steel company owner told me the same story with steel that it stunk and they only tried it once.

3/4 baltic 4 x 8 for us up here is 160.00 Told its made and shipped from china. missing in that statement is the material comes from?. In an auto shop once guy beside me talked about how much wood leaving here to offshore and also about some silk road thing between russian and china. I thought the silk road was another name for the dark web. People with land here have sold trees which go to a town south of here then to China.