Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curly Maple Source?

Curly Maple Source?

Hi all,

I'm in need of a primo curly maple place. I will be heading up to PA from SC in a few weeks. I know of one place that may have a good selection, but no guarantee. Anyone know of a place?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,
    You can try C.P. Johnson Lumber in Elkwood Va. they usually have a very nice selection of hardwoods including curly maple in stock for a reasonable price.

Mike

I think that stuff is graded by A’s. AA, AAA maybe even four AAAA.
    Good Luck
    Aj

You may get lucky at a place like Hearne Hardwoods in Oxford in the special room they have for premium figured woods near the entrance to the big barn. But there are also lumber suppliers out there that specialize in highly figured wood, often for luthiery, but not limited to that. If your needs are specific and exact, those specialty places are likely the best source because there's less demand for this material "at retail" and it's harder to find just lying about on shelves somewhere. (unless you have a fortunate day...and you should also then buy a lottery ticket )
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Maybe try Irion Lumber. They have some special stuff and the reputation to back it up.
    Still waters run deep.

Depending on how much you need, I would look up Rockler and Woodcraft stores that may be on your route. If you only need a few pieces, you may find them in these stores. Price might be higher, but for only a small amount it may not be an issue.

Groff and Groff lumber in Quaryville PA might have some. I bougt some there a few years back.

There is always a good selection on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You may get lucky at a place like Hearne Hardwoods in Oxford in the special room they have for premium figured woods near the entrance to the big barn. But there are also lumber suppliers out there that specialize in highly figured wood, often for luthiery, but not limited to that. If your needs are specific and exact, those specialty places are likely the best source because there's less demand for this material "at retail" and it's harder to find just lying about on shelves somewhere. (unless you have a fortunate day...and you should also then buy a lottery ticket )

I lived in NE PA for 25 years and know Hearne Hardwoods very well. They are a possibility. As far as buying a lottery ticket I gave that up 10 years ago. Even at 1.2 billion last week I did not spend 2 bucks for a chance. LOL

I am with Phillip.

I have bought plenty of lumber from Groff and Groff and Hearne, this sounds like a job for Irion Lumber (they have plenty of my money too ).

I usually find curly maple at Bailey Wood Products in Kempton, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Congiusti View Post
    I lived in NE PA for 25 years
    '

I grew up in NE PA in Wayne County. My brother and most of his progeny still live there. Hearne is a lot closer to me here in SE PA, but it's still about an hour and a quarter or more drive, depending on traffic. So I only do that run once or twice a year.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

We used to order a lot of “soft maple” from a local company , much of it was figured. We saved the figured stuff …and waited for the phone
    call wanting figured maple ….but there were few of those. So we stored it until we got the call for a big painted maple job.

The dimensions of lumber / quantity you need will determine how difficult it is to find. What specs are you looking for?

Where in PA? If you are near Kesey, contact Pete Terbovich at Horizon. They will likely have an ok supply of curly maple. They will likely have an outstanding supply of curly cherry if you want a real treat….