Thread: Recommendation for a water-based poly that comes in 5 gallon bulk

Recommendation for a water-based poly that comes in 5 gallon bulk

So here's the sob story. I'm in the middle of a "cabin" renovation. Did the downstairs in beautiful tongue and groove pine. Pre finished it with Varathane waterbased poly (satin), which, at the time, was "affordable". This was a lot of square feet so a lot of gallons. And the trim, window/door trim. But the finish looks and holds up great.

So now I'm on the upstairs. Even more square feet. The same poly I used is now 50% more, on top of t&G surpassing even plywood in price gouging. Maxed out a CC for the first time in my life buying the T&G, and it's not even 1/4 of the footage I need. Anyway....

What's an economical water based poly "similar" in performance to Varathane that I can get in 5 gal bulk lots? I use WB for a lot of other stuff too, so have plenty of uses for it. By performance I mean ease of application spray or brush, quick dry time, min # of coats needed (3), and durability, which, like I said, I'm getting from the varathane but think I'm getting ripped off.

"Economical" is subjective.

Target Coatings offers their finishes in 5 gallon containers (they also get the largest discount with the frequent discount codes issued via email) including the EM9300 polyester product, but I'll suggest you also consider the EM2000 (emulsified alkyd with warm color) or the EM8000cv conversion varnish which also has a little warmth. One advantage to the EM9300 is it's UV stabilized.

I do not know if General Finishes sells their "poly" products in the large containers.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Duralaq WB is the lowest cost waterborne topcoat I've used, and it's a great medium durability product. Duralaq is made by Lenmar, now owned by Gemini coatings.

General Finishes offers most of their topcoats in 5 gal pails.

I think your lowest cost option is likely to set up a commercial account with a local distributor who carries the product you are interested in. I buy GF's products in 5 gal pails through a commercial account at substantial savings.

John