Thread: Cutting speed WoodMizer LT 70 Vs Swingblade sawmill

Cutting speed WoodMizer LT 70 Vs Swingblade sawmill

Take the LT 70 and a top of the line swingblade sawmill. Each cutting 1x12's of White Oak. Which Sawmill will cut the boards the fastest ?

The Peterson Swingmill has a 10" radius blade so cutting 12" wide stock might not be the best comparison. But here are two comparisons of a BS vs Swingmill cutting 2 x 4's.

https://petersonsawmills.com/wordpre...ndsaw-Mill.pdf

I'd love to have a Swingmill but the price is high compared to a modest BS mill and it can't cut live edge slabs. I sell more live edge stuff than lumber, by far. I'd also be worried about hitting nails with the backyard trees I often mill. For dimensional lumber, however, I don't think you can beat a Swingmill for cut quality and efficiency.

John

What would be great to have on a swing blade sawmill, is have it be all hydraulic, a real steel bed that the log sit on , instead of being on the ground. In addition to that , have hydraulic loading arms; and a log turner. Yes, it would be a lot like a regular bandsaw mill. But, that is the point, get all the advantages of a bandsaw mill, but in a swingblade mill that would allow more production per day.

Find the Sawmill forum on the Forestry Forums. I'm sure you can find a number of guys there that can answer your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martinn View Post
    What would be great to have on a swing blade sawmill, is have it be all hydraulic, a real steel bed that the log sit on , instead of being on the ground. In addition to that , have hydraulic loading arms; and a log turner. Yes, it would be a lot like a regular bandsaw mill. But, that is the point, get all the advantages of a bandsaw mill, but in a swingblade mill that would allow more production per day.
    Did you try Google? http://www.mobilemfg.com/portable-sawmills.html
    https://www.strojcad.com/cz/stroje/d...mill/7?lang=en

Blog Entries
    I am working on a way to slow down our 1983 LT 30 WoodMizer. One idea is to use a variable speed, heavy duty drill in place of the feed motor.

Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 08-04-2022 at 8:05 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

According to one of my customers who had a swing mill saw for him I'm about 3 times faster with my hyd bandsaw. This was 1" boards out of smaller logs. Steve