Thread: No 35 plane question

No 35 plane question

I just picked up a no 35 plane. It's not a Stanley; it's stamped Marshall Wells No Z 35. I'm not really a collector but I thought it was cool looking and didn't cost much. But I'm curious as to the purpose of the design. Given the popularity of the all cast iron planes widely available at the time I assume this to have been made, why have a hybrid wood-cast iron plane? Was there something for which this plane was designed that distinguished it from the more common all iron planes like the no 4 etc? While I'm not particularly knowledgeable about planes, I know a lot of them had specific uses or features designed for a specific purpose but I don't know enough to know what that might be in this case? Or was it something to do with manufacturing (easier or cheaper to make, etc)?

Here's a link to a page about the Stanley version for reference. https://www.handplane.com/131/stanle...-smooth-plane/

I'm not deeply versed in them, but that's usually referred to as a Transitional Plane. Patrick Leach says "Stanley claimed that "Every Carpenter needs two or more wood planes in his kit, for rough outside work" and that "wood planes push easier." Thus, these planes were offered as an alternative to the metallic planes. Furthermore, some guys preferred the feel of wood against wood, like that afforded by the old style wooden bench planes. But, they also understood the benefit of the patented adjustment features found on the metallic planes. Stanley made it possible for these guys to have their cake and eat it, too, by offering these planes."

There's more on Transition planes on his site: Patrick Leach thoughts

Here's his section specifically on the 35: link
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 07-31-2022 at 9:41 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    My current reading includes Make a Joint Stool from a Tree by Jennie Alexander & Peter Follansbee. The authors suggest using wood bodied planes to work the green wood, since it isn't subject to rust or the corrosive nature oak can have on iron.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Marshall Wells was a hardware store that sold the Zenith line of tools. Their planes are fairly rare and were made by Sargent in a similar arrangement to what other hardware stores had with Stanley, Disston, etc. I have a Marshall Wells Zenith standard angle block plane that is an exact copy of the Sargent 217. It was included in a $10/bucket of tools at an estate sale. Its not a bad little plane. Apparently there is small group of collectors of Marshall Wells Zenith stuff, but don’t expect the exorbitant prices Stanley commands. Here’s a link to Sargent planes that should provide you with more detail about your plane: http://www.sargent-planes.com/

Thanks for the answers. I'm not sure what I'll do with it. It's in pretty good shape but there's a little rust and it looks like it could use some restoration and/or tuning, which I have little experience in. So it might be useful as a learning process since I'm just starting to amass a few planes for my shop and will likely need to do that kind of thing to a few other planes once I find some more standard ones.

And thanks for the link to the Sargent planes. It helped my identify what I now believe is a Sargent 507 rabbet block plane which may have been my grandfathers. That one appears to not be very common.