Thread: Lawn Mower Oil Filter

Lawn Mower Oil Filter

I've dealt with lawn mowers for most of the 78 years of my life but had something happen I've never had before. The oil filter came loose off the motor. I always believed you were to hand tighten the filter and not wrench it on however when I drained the oil and changed the offending filter and added a new filter and oil, the same thing happened. I finally took it to the dealer and was told the new one was loose again. The mechanic also said for the past several years he's noticed this more and more. He wondered if they were using a different rubber ring or something. His instruction was to had tighten and then turn 3/4 of a turn more with the wrench. He did add that sometimes you'll have a hard time getting them off. The mower is a Simplicity Broadmoor with a Briggs and Stratton Motor.

My 1973 Plymouth said hand tight, with oiled gasket face, then 3/4 turn. So that is the way I have always done spin on filters. Never had one fall off.
    Only problem I ever had was one time I did not realize the gasket ring stayed on the engine block. As soon as I started the engine I heard a hissing of oil spray. I did not know what I was hearing and drove 1/4 block and saw a trail of oil. Drove back and pulled the new filter and looked to see the old gasket still on the block. Lost about 1/2 quart.
    I always look at the old filter to make sure the gasket ring came off
    Bill D

I had the same problem with a B&S engine using B&S filters. 10 years in they started coming loose. My procedure is firm contact plus a quarter turn. Had to go full gorilla to prevent loosening and a tough time getting it off at change time. This year the blue borg wanted $19.95 for a replacement. Got a Fram for $5 online and so far this year it is still tight.

I don't know if they make a filter for that mower, and they're not cheap, but K&N makes oil filters that use a 1" hex wrench on the bottom to get off. I use them on the truck because it's not the easiest to get to with a regular strap wrench. I've never needed more than a quarter turn, and always oil the seal first.

Most filters instruct you to tighten 3/4 of a turn after contact that I've used. Tom have you used the nylon web type oil filter wrench that has a 3/8" drive and 1/2" drive hole for inserting an extension into and then putting a ratchet or breaker bar on? Snap On makes one but there are probably others as well.

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Oil-...er-Wrench/A91F
    Last edited by Ronald Blue; 07-30-2022 at 10:37 AM.

I have such a heavy duty, metal band strap wrench that uses an extension and ratchet. I need that for the fuel filter. I just find the K&N filter with the hex drive on the bottom to be much easier to deal with while under the truck.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 That's a Big filter for the diesel, so probably more expensive than the smaller ones.

One of my cars was hard to get to the filter so I bought one of those big stamped steel sockets for the filter. They work well. Can be hard to get off the old filter. I learned to take the filter almost all the way off with the wrench then wiggle the socket off so it is loose and then either hand or socket removal.
    You have to buy a different socket for each filter size. I spray paint mine to match car color. Same as I do the lug wrench socket end.
    Bill D.

I've always hand tightened and then used some kind of filter wrench to tighten another quarter turn. The The bottom filter sockets work better than strap wrenches. I've also learned that hand tightening in my 30's is a little different than hand tightening in my 70's so I go a little more than a quarter turn now.

Between mowers, ATV's, Tractors and vehicles, I noticed some oil filters seem to have a fine thread and some a coarse thread. Turning a coarse thread 3/4 turn would be a great deal of compression on the rubber seal, but may be necessary to keep enough pressure on the threads to keep it tight (sort of like a lock washer) . Seems much easier to turn a fine thread filter more rotation and have it stay. .

My one mower with a Kubota diesel was dripping oil from the oil filter all winter. I never checked to see if the filter was loose because it needed an oil change anyhow. I was using a NAPA oil filter and wasn't sure if maybe I got the wrong size possibly. I pried open my wallet and bought an actual Kubota filter that is correct for the engine this time. No leaks so far, but I only changed the oil yesterday.

Blog Entries
    Are you putting it on when the engine is warm?

Maybe you got a knock off?

Before we met my wife lost an engine due to a wrong filter. She had a Renault and mid year they changed the filter thread. I assume from coarse to fine. Sears did an oil change and she lost all the oil and blew the engine. Sears could not find a rebuilt anywhere in NA so they had to order a new engine from France. It took all summer to arrive.
    Bill D