Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More Garage Insulation Questions

In upgrading my garage, I went both routes. I wrapped the walls and ceiling in 5/8" sheetrock and then put unfinished T1-11 around the perimeter where I could damage or wanted to mount stuff to. Attached is my clamp wall in progress. Clamprackwall.jpg

Blog Entries
    There should be a fire separation barrier between the living quarters and the garage. Your local building codes will tell you what is required. They do make a fire rated OSB.

Make sure if/when you have insulation blown in that the attic space has air flow from the soffits and has some type of vent to let air out. This will help prevent mold growth in the attic, reduce the heat build up in the summer and help reduce ice dams in the winter.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 08-01-2022 at 5:19 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Treibs View Post
    In upgrading my garage, I went both routes. I wrapped the walls and ceiling in 5/8" sheetrock and then put unfinished T1-11 around the perimeter where I could damage or wanted to mount stuff to. Attached is my clamp wall in progress. Clamprackwall.jpg
    That looks really spiffy!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    There should be a fire separation barrier between the living quarters and the garage. Your local building codes will tell you what is required. They do make a fire rated OSB.

Make sure if/when you have insulation blown in that the attic space has air flow from the soffits and has some type of vent to let air out. This will help prevent mold growth in the attic, reduce the heat build up in the summer and help reduce ice dams in the winter.
    Thanks, Captain. (Navy vet here!)

The Attic Cat fiberglass insulation is a great product and easy to install. Buy ten bags and HD will loan the machine for free.

Pat,

- Cutting foam insulation with a thin knife is easy, neat, and clean; much better than any kind of saw. I sharpened the side of a putty knife and it works great -- nice cuts and no particles.
    - When I first moved here, I glued pieces of 1" foam sheet "padding" from shipping boxes to the inside surfaces of two 10-ft bare metal garage doors. It made a world of difference in the hot 95+ degree summers and west-facing doors here. It's definitely not the best, but I wanted to assure you that anything is MUCH better than nothing.

--Wayne

When I built my house (2003) I chose blown in cellulose for the attic insulation. At the time, it was cheaper to have a local crew come and do it than it was to buy the product myself. My 1750 square foot house cost something like $600 to do, which I thought was dirt cheap. That was for R-38. It's probably settled enough that I should have them come back and blow another 6" or so at some point.