Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gloss black (piano finish) on Baltic Birch?

For glassy finish off the gun, this is the gun a neighbor (few miles away is a neighbor here) that does hot rods uses. He uses other guns for clearcoat and primer, and has a downdraft spray booth.

https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/pro...eed-spray-guns Actually, a little older model of the same gun. I've played with it, and it's pretty amazing.

Lots of good spray guns, no gun will give you a mirror finish. you will be blocking and polishing back if you want a mirror. depends on the level you want.

Yes, but can mean the difference between starting with 400, or 2,000. If it only needs 2,000, it won't take long.

400 grit is a primer grit, 600 if base is a metallic. If you want a highest quality finish you will be blocking it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    For glassy finish off the gun, this is the gun a neighbor (few miles away is a neighbor here) that does hot rods uses. He uses other guns for clearcoat and primer, and has a downdraft spray booth.

https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/pro...eed-spray-guns Actually, a little older model of the same gun. I've played with it, and it's pretty amazing.

Yipes, that gun really sucks air. 12+ cfm, that's going to take a big compressor.

John

The Sata RP is use is just over 10 at 29 PSI. I can often run it less than that. First loaner they gave me was pressure and that test was 29 PSI to a 25 foot line to the air dryer. 25 foot line to the booth and 25 foot line from my pressure pot. So the gun saw less than that. That gun not digital but should have been to know what the final pressure was. All I bought were. that loaner sprayed like glass and easy to purchase from there. Would have been nice to know the final pressure the gun compared to the wall at 29 after all the hose etc. The same model HVLP takes over 15 CFM at 29 PSI. I never warmed up to HVLP. You can under what any gun pressure recommended is and reduce overspray as well. Fair amount of adjustment depending on what you are spraying and what finish etc.

Blog Entries
    A glassy finish right off the gun is something unknown to me.
    Best Regards, Maurice

The guy I knew that let me play with his spray guns had a spray booth like the one in this video. I say "had" because he died a while back, and before I heard anything about it, the booth and all his equipment was sold and gone. He was retired, and did hot rods for a hobby. He could spray about as good as this guy, but I feel like a lot of it was in the equipment. I forget, but I think he probably had a 7-1/2hp compressor.

I bought a Prolite, or what I thought was one after playing with his a few years ago that turned out to be a fake, but it does spray pretty good.

Just fast forward through most of this to the point where he's spraying the blue bumper.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPyMTyTnu0Y

hes a good painter and has done tons of good work. Past watched many gun trial videos of different guns and ones he didnt like and why. Hes a good teacher and has shared lots of info.

If I did cars id run pressure pots. The gun you posted I know he loves. Hes got glassy or id say glossy off almost any of the guns he used. Past seen him with sagola and Sata and others and get very level finishes.

Past hes said at least one gun worked better, in that case a Sata. It really doesnt matter they are all so good, operator more important balance of many things temps humidity controlling air flow gun distance set up finding the sweet spot of the gun. Its not worth comparing spray guns if its not set up and run to be the best you can get from that particular gun.

It was always said there is more gloss off an off the gun finish than that brought back to shine. finishes are different now im talking car finishes and im not up on them and the constant changes they always had. I dont agree that past saying more shine off the gun. Back then yeah but they did not have the level of polish stuff there is today.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 08-29-2022 at 7:50 PM.

I did a series of hollow metal shapes a few years ago all with a gloss black automotive base coat clear coat finish....no expensive equipment, just a lot of elbow grease. Seems to me something like that would work for you too.

9270B94A-BD0F-43C7-9811-339FDD4BB264.jpg