Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandsaw blade choice

Will the 1.3 tpi cut or grab too aggressively for finer cuts in smaller or thinner pieces? For example cutting down Dominos. Thanks everyone
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Jung View Post
    Will the 1.3 tpi cut or grab too aggressively for finer cuts in smaller pieces? Thanks everyone
    You wouldn't want to use the 1.3 tpi blade on stock thinner than 1/1.3 = 0.77", and it's a good idea to always have 2 teeth in the wood at all times, so 2 x 0.77" = 1.44". I never use anything thinner than 8/4 with it; for thinner stock I use my other BS.

John

A 10" saw is good for small cuts like that. They don't take up much room either.

I have a 16" saw setup with a big aux. table for curves, the 24" for ripping, and just sold an 17" which now I'm regretting...it was setup with a 3tpi 1/2" blade. Great for small stuff. I'm realizing that if I setup the 24" for what it's capable of, that I lose the convenience of the bandsaw for small stuff. But how many bandsaws does a guy need?!
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Four is a good number. 24" with 1" blade. 14" with 3/8" blade. 10" with 1/4", and another 10" with 1/8" and Carter Stabilizer. Never need to adjust guides. Just change a blade when you need to. That doesn't include metal cutting ones though.

I run a 1 inch resaw king on my Felder 610 (19 in) and could not be more pleased. As other have said you probably do not need to go larger. Also, if you have their ceramic guides like I do, you might have trouble moving them far enough back to accommodate a wider blade. Again like other have said, I only use the blade for the most gentle of curve cuts.

Many of us have found two to be a good compromise. A larger one with a wider, aggressive blade for ripping and resawing, and a smaller one for everything else. FWIW, my smaller one gets most of the work. My smaller one is a wood/metal model, so that covers my metal cutting needs as well.

John