Thread: Source for hardwood panels?

Source for hardwood panels?

Hey all, my employer is considering a new product that would require a roughly 16x12x3/8 domestic hardwood panel. Haven't decided on species, maybe it will vary. Plywood is not an option on this product. I haven't been able to google up a potential U.S. source for this panel, either at finished size or in larger sheets that I would cut/plane to final dimension. It may turn out that it will be too expensive to hit the target price point, but until I find a source, I can't know for sure. I figured I could make the panel from rough lumber for $15 - $18 per panel (too high), but would likely need about 300 a month, which rules out me making these panels in my shop.

I'm hopeful someone here on the Creek may know of a potential source. Close to central Ohio preferred to keep shipping costs down but not a requirement.

Thanks!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I realize I just posted this thread, but I just bumped into a guy who ran a cabinet shop a few years ago and suggested a somewhat local lumber company that makes up panels for the cabinet business. He said it was so much cheaper than him gluing up his own. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Doh!

Got a phone call to make...
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Did a quick search and came up with advantagelumber.com
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

panels that thin are often “re-sawn” , but then they curl up. Sometimes you can find stuff that was sawn too thin and buy it at lower price .
    When you plane it you need to look at what you are doing and cut on the convex side , which will change as you work. That type of work
    could be done by a helper ….if he is not reading a comic book.

Just be sure that the quality of the grain and color match for glued up panels is consistent with your employer's expectations. As is easy to see in the general cabinet industry, a lot of sources just slap boards together without carefully grading them. That may or may not be good for your project.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Try Fryburg door or Keim lumber.Keim Lumber will do about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Neu View Post
    Try Fryburg door or Keim lumber.Keim Lumber will do about anything.
    Hi Max, Keim is who was recommended to me today. Good to hear a corroborating recommendation. Never heard of Fryburg Door. Thanks for the name. The cabinet maker I was talking to also mentioned that Keim offered free delivery to the Columbus area which would be a big plus.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 07-29-2022 at 4:03 PM.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Just be sure that the quality of the grain and color match for glued up panels is consistent with your employer's expectations. As is easy to see in the general cabinet industry, a lot of sources just slap boards together without carefully grading them. That may or may not be good for your project.
    Yep. Thanks for mentioning that. I'll be asking about that when I call Monday. (Got busy this afternoon.) We don't need the highest quality grain and color match that would go into highest-end cabinetry, but we certainly want better than total disregard.
    Brian