Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Examples of options for VFD control of motors

Examples of options for VFD control of motors

Much has been written lately of what supposedly can and can not be done to control a vfd on a machine so I figured I would post a few examples just to give folks some ideas. The first pic is a 1946 unisaw and I utilized the original 3 pole mechanical motor starter to run the vfd;

IMG_20220728_190159_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg

The switch controls start and stop only for a Fuji vfd which is programmed for forward at full speed only with a 2 second ramp up on start and 4 second ramp down on stop. The next pic is the control station for a 1950's Delta 17" drill press;

IMG_20220728_190237_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg

This controls a Teco drive that is programmed for forward and reverse, with a speed range of 10-100hz and a 2 second ramp up and down. The final pic is of my Yates 20" band saw that i replaced the original mag switch with a FMX drive and added an e-stop as well;

IMG_20220728_192306_(600_x_800_pixel).jpg

This drive is programmed to run from 30-60hz forward only. Start is 6 seconds ramp up and stop is programmed for coast to stop. The e-stop is set for 10 seconds as any faster trips the drive out. It also requires a manual reset of the e-stop button and it does not re-start on reset.
    Last edited by John Lanciani; 07-28-2022 at 7:30 PM.

Looks fantastic! The forward/reverse switch on the drill press is a nice feature.

Blog Entries
    Neat-O! I hope to follow your example for my drill press. I need to get myself educated on how it is done.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Well done.

There is some basic electrical knowledge required to execute the controls you picture/describe, but it can all be low voltage. And in most cases, if a user so desires, the VFD can be mounted in an accessible spot, and so use the integral keypad; no push button stations required. I am looking for a suitable 3p motor to convert my DP, with the VFD mounted left of quill. I’ll use the integral controls.

I believe Mr Parks has touched on this often, but for nearly any variable speed, soft start, reversing, or sophisticated control scheme, a VFD will be a good value applied to anything less than 10hp. The control and programming options may seem intimidating, but their plug-and-play features have made this much easier.

Nice John thanks for posting that. I dont need VFD's so far but do have a Buffalo 18 waiting I dont need soft start or electric stop on machines but would like a speed control and more so a digital read out showing RPM. Likely need to find someone smart like Rod to set it up.

Those are really nice installations John. I especially like the Allen Bradley contactor box on the Unisaw. I wanted to do a similar installation on my bandsaw but chickened out on cutting a large opening into the saw chassis. So I went surface mount. Ugly.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Quenneville View Post
    Those are really nice installations John. I especially like the Allen Bradley contactor box on the Unisaw. I wanted to do a similar installation on my bandsaw but chickened out on cutting a large opening into the saw chassis. So I went surface mount. Ugly. <br>
    <br>
    Greg
    <br>
    <br>
    That band saw is a 1950 Yates American J120 that is in pristine original condition and paint. The vfd is installed in the factory opening for the original magnetic starter. My goal on that one was zero modifications and i achieved that. Even the face plate (which still needs a coat of paint) is mounted using the original screw holes. I have all the original parts and it can be returned easily.

Here is a better pic;

IMG_20220729_194636704.jpg
    Last edited by John Lanciani; 07-29-2022 at 7:59 PM.

I can install electrical wiring and circuits and such, but wiring the VFD into that AB switch would be over my head. I have a few ABÂ’s like that - could you give more detail how you did it?

I guess I was thinking about the size of my 2.2 kW unit which is pretty chunky. Even the original contactors were in a surface mounted box. That’s on a ‘78 Italian 24”.

I grew up with A-B controls on everything in my father’s plant. I can still smell hot bakelite. I might look for one to put on something just for nostalgia's sake.

Good looking saw John

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I can install electrical wiring and circuits and such, but wiring the VFD into that AB switch would be over my head. I have a few ABÂ’s like that - could you give more detail how you did it?
    That one was actually quite simple since the AB switch is a mechanical starter and not a magnetic. I just programmed a digital input on the vfd for run/stop with closed being run and open being stop. One pair of low voltage wires is all that connects the drive to the starter and i just used one contact on the starter. All overload functions are controlled by the vfd, the starter is just functioning as a push button start/stop station.

Let me add one other simple use of the 'closed= run, open = stop' wiring. My dust collector is set up this way, using ordinary light switches in multiple spots in the shop, The light switches are wired exactly the same what you would wire multiple switches for a light bulb, treating the 12V lead on the VFD as the "hot" wire and the on/off terminal on the VFD as the "bulb". I had an old (very old) spool of 3 conductor telephone wire, then ordinary electrical boxes along with 3-way and 4-way switches. It's nice to be able to turn the collector on/off from multiple locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Therneau View Post
    Let me add one other simple use of the 'closed= run, open = stop' wiring. My dust collector is set up this way, using ordinary light switches in multiple spots in the shop, The light switches are wired exactly the same what you would wire multiple switches for a light bulb, treating the 12V lead on the VFD as the "hot" wire and the on/off terminal on the VFD as the "bulb". I had an old (very old) spool of 3 conductor telephone wire, then ordinary electrical boxes along with 3-way and 4-way switches. It's nice to be able to turn the collector on/off from multiple locations.
    Nicely done. With a little understanding of control circuitry and understanding how to program the various inputs and outputs on even inexpensive vfd's all kinds of options are available. That's exactly what i wanted to illustrate to others. My personal opinion is that there is no reason to convert a machine to single phase or live with the limitations of a static converter anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Therneau View Post
    Put the switches on the blast gates and you do two operations at once.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

there were all over this shop

P1020389A.jpgP1120062A.jpg