Thread: SawStop Sliding Crosscut Table versus other fences?

SawStop Sliding Crosscut Table versus other fences?

Awhile ago I installed a SawStop Router Table (cast iron version) to my ICS. It works fine but now wondering if I wouldn't make better use of a SawStop Sliding Crosscut Table. I find the homemade crosscut sled and Incra fences a bit of a hassle to use. Anyone use a sliding crosscut table instead of a crosscut sled, etc?

I've seen multiple folks use these in various videos on the 'Tube. Seems like a functional solution, albeit it's not a new thing. These accessories have been available for a long time. I would say that if folks can confirm that they stay in registration, it might be handy to have if you do a lot of crosscutting at the table saw. I do believe there have been some previous discussions on this here in GW&PT, so you may want to play with the Advanced Search a little to see what comes up.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The small sliding table was going to be part of my purchase when I was considering a Sawstop ICS. This was before I radically changed directions, doubled my budget and went with a Felder slider.

I have an Incra HD1000 miter gauge. At best, I can make a 21" crosscut, but this is prone to inaccuracy as you have to support the miter gauge hanging off the table while trying to move/position the wood into place. The full Incra miter sled advertises a 23" crosscut, but you have the same challenge of supporting the Incra sled AND your material hanging off the table before trying to push the wood through the blade.

The small Sawstop sliding table enables you to do a 48" crosscut with very good support on your sheet. That's one of the big reasons it was on my list. Here's a good demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OubnQ7w0mK0

The Sawstop sliding table will lock at rest so that you can use it as a table extension. Just remove/unscrew the fence when you're using the saw normally. The fence itself has a lot wider capacity than the Incra (43" to 58").

Steve,

I've used the sliding table for a few years. I wouldn't want to be without it. I've seen some people complain that there's play in the fence mounting. Yes, there is but there's an easy way to eliminate it. There are two places where the fence is tightened down - the fence assembly to the table and the miter gauge to the assembly. Here's what I do to register the fence every time.

When I slide the fence assembly onto the table there is a little back and forth play. Before I snug the assembly down I twist the assembly to one side. Doesn't matter which side as long as you twist it the same way each time. Then I loosen the miter gauge from the fence assembly and adjust it so the fence is square to the blade. Once you do that you can take the fence assembly off the table and replace it and the fence is square.

I've got Incra miter gauges and an Incra Miter Express and I use the Sawstop sliding table for 95% of my cuts. As Aaron mentioned the supported crosscut capacity is very good to have.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

I used to have two Excalibur sliding tables. I liked the 48" one, but I really loved the small version they made for a while. Used them for a few years, before I got rich enough to get the Jessem slider attachment, which also worked well.

One thing. I liked about the Excalibur ( and the Exactor copycat) was that you could adjust where it mounted on the saw so that you could choose to have a long infeed or a long outfeed, depending on whether you put the fence forward or back.

Still have all three. Really gotta finish cleaning out stuff someday.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.