Thread: New Home for Pipe Clamps

Blog Entries

New Home for Pipe Clamps

Still moving the last of the stuff (will it ever end) from the garage to the shop. Pipe clmaps are one of those things that when you need one, it is the perfect clamp. The rest of the time mine end up behind a tool cabinet or in a corner. In the new shop I am taking advantage of those higher ceilings.

The blanks get a series of holes, 1-1/8" in this case for 3/4" pipe clamps.

Pipe Clamps (1).jpg

I use the bandsaw to create the arms at 5 degrees (I'm in earthquake country).

Pipe Clamps (2).jpg

I then glue and screw vertical cleats to these fingered parts. The assemblies are mounted to studs through the cleats. I made two sets. The first one goes over the clamp racks near the workbench.

Pipe Clamps (4).jpg

The arms each hold two clamps (I have wooden cauls screwed to the basic clamp ends). The second set goes over the double doors. This takes care of the balance of my dozen or so pipe clamps and leaves enough room for some other seldom used but, "glad to have 'em", clamps.

Pipe Clamps (5).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-28-2022 at 12:55 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Good design there, Glen...keeps them organized and out of the way. I may "borrow" the idea once I have the building up for the same reason...I have a few pipe clamps that only occasionally get used, but I don't want them to live in some corner. (Two of them are about 10' long and gifted to me by a friend when he shut down his shop and moved to Florida)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Nice design and nice collection of clamps!
    Best Regards, Maurice

Nice idea Glenn. I've got some pipe clamps that need a better home than the corner they're standing in.

...Totally envious that you've got BB to work with. Can't find it anywhere around here.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 07-30-2022 at 8:25 AM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    (Two of them are about 10' long and gifted to me by a friend when he shut down his shop and moved to Florida)
    One of the handy things about pipe clamps is that the you can use a pipe coupling to make a clamp of any length. I have a coupling on the end of each pipe to keep the coupling handy and to protect the pipe threads.
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson; 07-30-2022 at 11:49 AM.

Speaking of coupling them together, the closest I am to organizing pipe clamps is the three 20' lengths I have on big nails up high on the wall in one shop. I have coupled them together working on old houses to pull floors together. Put tension on the clamp, and bump somewhere with a Big hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Speaking of coupling them together, the closest I am to organizing pipe clamps is the three 20' lengths I have on big nails up high on the wall in one shop. I have coupled them together working on old houses to pull floors together. Put tension on the clamp, and bump somewhere with a Big hammer.
    I have done this too. It was some really warped new oak strip flooring.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    One of the handy things about pipe clamps is that the you can use a pipe coupling to make a clamp of any length. I have a coupling on the end of each pipe to keep the coupling handy and to protect the pipe threads.
    Very true. While I don't particularly "like" pipe clamps...they can be real problem solvers and are easy to customize as you note. I've only used those giant 9 footers that a friend gifted to me once, but they were the right solution to the problem at the time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...