Thread: Drilling holes in bandsaw blade

Drilling holes in bandsaw blade

I want to drill some 1/4” holes in short lengths of used BS blade to make small hoops to be used as drying racks etc. does heating the metal red hot in the area of the hole make the metal easier to drill? ( after it cools) I’ll use a carbide drill bit. Any other suggestions or advice?

Probably better to punch them than drill them.

I just bend little pieces into triangles and there is no need to fasten the ends together. I set bowls on them to let the finish dry. I'd guess you need a cobalt drill bit, not a carbide if you want to continue down your path

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    I want to drill some 1/4” holes in short lengths of used BS blade to make small hoops to be used as drying racks etc. does heating the metal red hot in the area of the hole make the metal easier to drill? ( after it cools) I’ll use a carbide drill bit. Any other suggestions or advice?
    To heat area to be drilled, chuck a cut off 16d nail in drill press. Then with DP running, bring nail down on hole location, which will turn red due to friction.

Soldering or brazing the ends together would also be easier than drilling and bolting.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Soldering or brazing the ends together would also be easier than drilling and bolting.
    Someone owes me a new keyboard!!!

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

+ 1 to what Mr. Coers said, with the slight difference that I bend my bandsaw pieces into a “V” shape to use as drying ‘racks’. I have three different sizes, ranging from a 2-1/2” leg to about a 4” leg. I keep them clipped together with one of those black, springy binder clips and store them hung from a shelf.

This is a great idea, I'm going to make some. V seems easiest.

After all the good advice I decided to try just cutting and bending some triangles. Viola! Worked perfectly. Used a thin wire to hold the ends togerher. On the plus side I now own a nice set of cobalt drill bits😁

A simple welder with a small carbon arc stick will heat it fast. A car battery would be enough.
    Bill D