Thread: Ice Sculpture Platform/Drip Tray?

Ice Sculpture Platform/Drip Tray?

I’m considering building a Platform/Drip Tray to hold a 100-150lb block of ice.

I’d like to keep things simple, but I’d also like it to stand up to a few years of use.

It doesn’t need to be pretty, but I’d like it relatively “food safe” (really this will be a stand for blocks of ice to serve as an ice luge/vodka luge)

Plywood would be easiest to work with: but what options to I have to keep it from warping? Paint? Flex Seal?

No help on the actual stand itself, but use a washing machine drain pan to hold the actual block of ice. At 100-150#, that's only a third to half block of ice.

Top it with a baking pan or tray flipped over to shed the meltwater. Add peel and stick sandpaper if you need traction.

Just guessing here on the practicalities.

Blog Entries
    My Neighbor made an ice tray that they filled with bags of ice when they had family picnics. They would nest all of the cold dishes in the ice and it would keep them cold all day. The tray was made of plywood, nicely painted and lined with polyethylene plastic film. He would carefully fold the corners so they fit tight in the corners. He would roll up the plastic after each use once it was dry. I never saw it leak.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute