Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you remove this sprocket

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    Take a closer look at the tightening bolt and see if there is an idler sprocket that it pushes against. The shaft for it may be stuck and a light tap or two could allow it to move and loosen the chain.
    It looks like it just pushes against the cast iron frame and subtely moves the motor mount and I guess tightens the chain. But it's totally floating now. Exerting no pressure, so chain should be loose. But its so tight I can't get the motor assembly attached to the machine with the chain on, or if I attach the chain to the motor, I can't get it around on of the large sprockets on the periphery of the machine.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    It looks like it just pushes against the cast iron frame and subtely moves the motor mount and I guess tightens the chain. But it's totally floating now. Exerting no pressure, so chain should be loose. But its so tight I can't get the motor assembly attached to the machine with the chain on, or if I attach the chain to the motor, I can't get it around on of the large sprockets on the periphery of the machine.
    Hard to analyze without being there. Same sprocket, same chain, motor mounting holes match up, the chain fit on the old motor and came off the l sprocket ok? At this point it may be helpful to get a second pair of eyes to take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Hard to analyze without being there. Same sprocket, same chain, motor mounting holes match up, the chain fit on the old motor and came off the l sprocket ok? At this point it may be helpful to get a second pair of eyes to take a look.
    I couldn't agree more. All of the above check out.

Anyone in the Tampa Bay area volunteer to be that second set of eyes? Please!!!
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

Is it possible that what the motor mounts to can move but is stuck.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Did you not get the operating and parts manual with the machine? I checked the Felder owners group library but can’t find a manual for any D series machines, just the AD951 which isn’t particularly helpful.

Maybe loosen the bolts holding down motor so it can move along the mount.
    Bill D

Chain doubled over somewhere, or not fully seated on a sprocket?

Is it possible that you need to rotate the motor shaft to change the relationship of the sprocket in the chain thus allowing the motor to fit in the mount?

I hope I stated this in a way you can understand what I'm picturing in my head.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Does the other sprocket come off as easily as this one did? If so, maybe you could slide both on at the same time. I have no picture of the setup in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Grass View Post
    Chain doubled over somewhere, or not fully seated on a sprocket?
    My thoughts as well. Check all the sprockets and make sure the chain is resting down in the teeth. Also when trying to assemble is the chain tight everywhere? Not knowing this setup at all it's difficult to analyze further. If the chain wasn't this tight when you disassembled it then it shouldn't be on reassembly. Is that the motor assembly in the photo? If so is it identical? Something is either not in position or the new motor is different it would seem.

These are from different AD941/951 manuals. Is your machine like either of these?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Quenneville View Post
    These are from different AD941/951 manuals. Is your machine like either of these?
    That does make me think to suggest if you haven't tried this is to leave the bolt that locks the motor in place when tensioning it. Maybe it will give enough extra travel to get the chain in place and the tension it up. There isn't more than one way it will bolt up is there? Meaning extra holes that could have it positioned wrong? Just thinking out loud here. Maybe photos of the setup if that's a possibility?

Well, I'll attack it again today. I don't see any areas where the chain is doubled up, and seems tight everywhere.

Greg, those diagrams are very interesting. My manual doesn't have those, and the motor I think is mounted slightly different in those, with the motor tilted away from you, instead of towards you in that new diagram, which allows the chain tension screw to actually appear to do something. I'll see if I can mount it that way.

Here's what it looked like before I took out the motor:

Felder D951 Original Motor Mount 1.jpg

It looks like the motor is installed in a different orientation. The tension adjustment screw is at the back of the right side when looking at the photo. Not in the front, as the diagram you sent shows. You can see the four pedestals with sprockets at the top that the chain goes around, then loops back around the motor sprocket.

It makes me wonder if mine was installed incorrectly at the factory and forced into place. Of course if a Felder tech would actually call me back instead of them just saying "Your in the queue", I might be able to answer that.

I'll see if mine will install in that direction later today. But really need a second person to keep the chain in the other sprockets and taut while doing that. It's a four-arm job.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 07-30-2022 at 8:55 AM.

So, I gave it another try. First I took the motor off the mount and tried to change the mount orientation. It's not possible. Interestingly, I looked at the manual I have for the D951 and the diagrams that Greg posted are also there. But the orientation of the motor cannot be in the direction of the photo, so they probably mistakenly put the wrong diagrams in the manual. They are probably from the AD951.

I think the problem now boils down to how to get the chain totally taut around the four posts, and have it not fall off while somehow getting the motor mount attached to the machine. Here's a few photos of what the issue seems to be:
    Loose chain 1.jpgLoose chain 2.jpgLoose chain 3.jpg

You can see some slack in the first two photos (the chain going around the sides of the machine.) What I need is more slack around the back of the machine (the last photo) so that I can push the motor sprocket into the chain with enough slack to mount the motor. Then I could fiddle and tension it, but there just isn't enough slack in the back to mount the motor plate.

I've put 4 small clamps on the chain keeping them in the sprockets on the corners, but there's just enough slack I can't remove (despite pulling hard) to gain that extra slack in the back.

Any suggestions as to how to make this work?

The four individual jacking screws likely have to be all set with the same load. That is all tight in the up direction. If you could find some way of doing that (vice grips?) you might be able to get the slack you need.

Maybe something like a bungy strap just pulling the chain in one location close to where the motor sprocket goes.