Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you remove this sprocket

How do you remove this sprocket

Had an issue with my Felder D951 planer. Started getting an encoder error message, and it wouldn't move the table. Spoke with tech support, and after several phone calls, their techs said that the motor was shot and needed to be replaced. Long story short, a week later after a large rush shipping charge from Austria, the motor arrives.

Instructions sent to me from tech support were a little dissapointing. Just a blow-up diagram of all the parts. In German.

But the tech told me that there were really only two bolts to open the machine, and four screws to replace the motor. Sounded good, especially after they quoted me $3300 to send a tech to do that. Yup, not a typo.

So I removed the old motor, but it has a sprocket on it to attach to the chain which is on the old motor very tightly. Is there some trick to remove the sprocket? Here's a picture:
    Felder D951 Old Motor with Sprocket for Replacement.jpg
    I'm not sure what that slot on the sprocket outside the shaft is for. Perhaps that's the key. There are no little set screws holding it on.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    I am not experienced with that machine. I would use my 2 or 3 jaw wheel puller after finding and loosening the fastener, it should be a set screw that tightens angst the woodruff key.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Rent a gear/bearing puller from your local auto parts store (usually free from O'Reilly's or AutoZone). You might need a splitting plate to go along with a two leg puller or a three leg puller may work although this sprocket is quite small diameter. I suspect there is a Woodruff (half round) key in the shaft judging by the keyway in the sprocket hub. Hit the whole thing with penetrating oil before you try pulling the sprocket.

It should ease right off with a puller. I'd put it back on in a press rather than beat on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    It should ease right off with a puller. I'd put it back on in a press rather than beat on it.
    Could you be a little more specific as to what a press is? Thanks.

And boy, they could have made this SO much easier if they just sent the motor with the sprocket already attached.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Could you be a little more specific as to what a press is?
    Do a Google search using the term "arbor press". That should bring up a bunch of pictures of different styles of an arbor press.

Probably a woodruff key. Is it a tapered shaft? European car alternators are almost all made by Bosch. The replacements come with no pulley. You transfer the models pulley to the generic alternator. Held on with a axial bolt like that sprocket. The pulley varies maker to maker and model year to model year.
    Bill D

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton...ess-33497.html Arbor presses will be harder to find, and they are in so many different sizes that you're limited to what will fit in one. A hydraulic press will be easier to find, and easier to use. Any mechanic shop, machine shop, or neighbor the works on stuff will have pullers and a press.

There are special kits for changing alternator (decoupler kits) and power steering pump pulleys that don't use regular pullers that won't work for this.

I can't tell by the picture, but if that center hole is threaded, you can use a power steering pulley kit to install the gear. If it's threaded, that must be their intended method of installing it.

I would change it for you if you were closer. It's a few minute job either way.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 07-28-2022 at 12:42 PM.

It turns out that there was a set screw that I somehow missed. Loosened it, and pulled the sprocket off with ease. Of course now I'm ground to a halt being unable to loosen the chain tension enough to put it back on all the sprockets and motor sprocket. Waiting on a call back from Felder tech support. Again...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    It turns out that there was a set screw that I somehow missed. Loosened it, and pulled the sprocket off with ease. Of course now I'm ground to a halt being unable to loosen the chain tension enough to put it back on all the sprockets and motor sprocket. Waiting on a call back from Felder tech support. Again...
    Look along the length of the chain and you may find what looks like a piece of stiff wire pressing the slack out of the chain. Loosen the bolt holding it to slack the chain.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    Look along the length of the chain and you may find what looks like a piece of stiff wire pressing the slack out of the chain. Loosen the bolt holding it to slack the chain.
    There is a bolt that is listed as tension loosening. And it is now totally loose. But I can't figure out how it does anything. No wire that I can see.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 07-28-2022 at 4:22 PM.

The chain most likely has a master link in it. Clip could be on backside, so you can't readily see it. Put chain on sprocket BEFORE installing sprocket on motor.

Or reinstall the motor/sprocket assembly the way you took it off…engage the chain first, then line up the bolts and don’t tighten any single bolt until they are all at least started.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Quenneville View Post
    Or reinstall the motor/sprocket assembly the way you took it off…engage the chain first, then line up the bolts and don’t tighten any single bolt until they are all at least started.
    Makes perfect sense, Greg, but the chain is too taut. No matter how hard I push/pull I'm unable to get the bolts to line up. It's almost like I need to add a link or two to the chain, then tighten it with that "tightening bolt" afterwards. Which seems crazy on the surface because the unit was built and worked fine with the present chain length.

Totally ground to a halt here. Making no progress, and despite repeated promises that Felder tech support technician will call me back, day after day goes by and they don't. And the thought of paying them $3300 to spend 5 minutes moving a chain, is not going to happen.

Take a closer look at the tightening bolt and see if there is an idler sprocket that it pushes against. The shaft for it may be stuck and a light tap or two could allow it to move and loosen the chain.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution