Thread: Domino 700 Seneca Kit - Issues with Depth?

Domino 700 Seneca Kit - Issues with Depth?

I just picked up a barely used Domino 700. I want to get the Seneca small bit adapter.

Does the adapter change how deep mortises can be plunged? From reviews everyone seems to love the adapter.

I have the adapter, but I'm yet to use it. But consider that the actual DF500 cutters only have a certain available cutting length. So you really cannot go deeper, per se, than you could with the DF500 when using the small (under 8mm) Dominos.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post
    I just picked up a barely used Domino 700. I want to get the Seneca small bit adapter.

Does the adapter change how deep mortises can be plunged? From reviews everyone seems to love the adapter.

I have the 700 and use Seneca adaptor. been using it for 8+ years, no issues whatsoever. you can only go 15mm deep with 700 though.

Only 1/2” roughly with 700 and the seneca adapter? It doesn’t seem deep enough for a lot of applications.
    Last edited by Patrick Irish; 10-26-2022 at 11:48 AM.

The adapter allows the 8mm bit to plunge the full 25mm flute depth, maybe 28mm if you push it. I just checked the 5mm bit which has approx 22mm of flute. I don’t think that the adapter limits you to less than the -500 will plunge.

I don’t own a 10mm bit which I think is available in either format to comment on.

The adapter makes the -500 bits the same length as the -700 bits, but of course bit construction and geometry limits the plunge depth in either machine.

Greg

If you have a 700 I would definitely get the Seneca adapter. I also recommend Amana bits although my CMT bits smaller than 14mm have worked well too.

Because the domino moves side to side to make the mortise it stresses the bit. Festool decided to limit the depth of cut especially of the smaller bits so that the bit can take the stress. The Seneca adapter does not change any of this nor does switching brands of bits.

If you need or want a deeper mortise you have to use a larger diameter bit. The 700 can plunge about 2 3/4 inches so the limitation is not the machine, it's the bits. I think an inch deep mortise is reasonable for one that is only about 1/4 inch wide (i.e. 6mm).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post
    Only 1/2” roughly with 700 and the seneca adapter? It doesn’t seem deep enough for a lot of applications.
    You can plunge the same depth as the 500 when using 500 bits.

You don't loose any depth with the adapter.