Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for custom made cnc for turning stave drum shells

Looking for custom made cnc for turning stave drum shells

Hello, I am looking for an individual or company that can make a cnc mill for turning the inside and outside of stave drum shells. We’re currently using our flat bed cnc with spiral cutter head but are limited in shell height due to the gantry height. We are making complete drum sets and need to be able to turn 8” x 6” deep up to bass drum shells that are 16” deep x 24” dia.
    Can someone recommended an individual or a company that is capable of making this machine? It technically only needs to be 3 axis. Thank you

Contact Gary Campbell through this site. If he can't make what you want he will be able to point you in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Contact Gary Campbell through this site. If he can't make what you want he will be able to point you in the right direction.
    I agree - Gary has a reputation for creating specialized one-off machines.
    David

Thank you Kevin and David!

Wondering if a patternmakers or modified metal lathe might be a better solution? Something with a big swing and short bed. Turning wood, doesn't have to be very massive. Maybe headstock and toolpost on risers to get swing. The turning would go so fast you might not even need cnc, unless you're into serious production.

This relevant to me as I make OEM banjo rims, using a big Oliver manual patternmakers lathe (24" swing, 96" cc) to turn them. Works great, but takes up a lot of space. Looking like I will be moving soon to a smaller shop, need a much shorter machine, but one that is as easy to work with as the Oliver.

Have you planned out a budget? Custom machines will be really pricey!

If he has been in touch with Gary Campbell, then I would expect he has a pretty good idea of the pricing for a custom "turn key" build.
    David

Blog Entries
    I am trying to get educated on CNC. It may be beyond my ability. I wonder if an analogue duplicating lathe could work for drum shells? It might be several thousands of dollars less expensive?
    I like drums, Do you have any images?
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 08-04-2022 at 7:47 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Maurice, it might be able to be made to work, but for a production operation like the OP has, it would likely be cumbersome.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    It seems like a 1 axis problem?
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    It seems like a 1 axis problem?
    It might be worthwhile to look into just modifying the Z if thats all it needs.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions. We’ve teamed up with Gary on this one and we think we have an excellent solution. Thanks again.

Thomas, Please post pictures or video once you get it worked out. Wondered how you were coming along with the drum making
    Thanks again for the tour of your shop when I was there to pick up the sander
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by thomas prusak View Post
    Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions. We’ve teamed up with Gary on this one and we think we have an excellent solution. Thanks again.
    Thomas - I will be looking forward to seeing what you and Gary come up with. And some photos of course.
    Thanks,
    David

Yes, I agree. Once your custom machine is "in the wild", please come back with a thread that gives us the fifty cent tour!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...