Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Power washer

Power washer

Maybe in the market for a good brand power washer. Any suggestions and what should I be aware of. Thanks.
    John T.

Brands have changed a lot in the past few years. 4 years ago, we got a Ryobi with a Honda engine. Honda engines are known for being easy to start after long down times. Let the thing sit for over a year and it started up on the third or fourth pull. Just used it to clean the back of the house, siding and deck. It does a great job and the jet spray was able to blast a 35 ft high hornets' nest off the eave of the house with no problem.

I recently bought an electric power washer. Beware that hoses and wands do not have universal fittings. I went to find a longer hose only to find out that SunJoe uses a larger connector than most. I mainly use the washer for the cars and for that the electric is plenty powerful enough. For bigger jobs you will most likely want more power though.

A foam cannon attachment is fabulous for washing cars! The soap dispenser tank on the pressure washer I bought was pretty much worthless.

Make sure you empty all water out of the pressure washer and replace it with antifreeze if you have harsh winters.

I would love to get a hot pressure washer some day. Heat is a great solvent... so to speak.

P.S. I know this will sound crazy but the power washer did a fantastic job of blasting all the soap scum off of the fiberglass shower stalls... which is a cleaning job I usually hate!
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 07-27-2022 at 3:18 AM.

I have a gas version with a Honda Engine. Works like it's supposed to.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I had a power washer with a Honda engine for years. It was a pain because I only use it occasionally. I recently bought a Sun Joe and EXTREMELY happy with it. No gas or tough to start and does everything I need.

Another vote for the electric Sun Joe.
    ===========

James Cheever
    Ga Tech NROTC - 1978
    Run Silent, Run Deep
    Commander, USN (Retired)

You asked for a "good" brand, and I have a lot of experience with, and highly recommend Mi-T-M. https://www.mitm.com/pressure-washers/

I've had a commercial gas unit for 25 years now. We wore the first Briggs & Stratton motor out on it, and replaced it with a 13hp Honda. I bought it to work on houses with. It doesn't have the highest pressure available at 2500 psi, but works great for what we use it for. That one has a flow rate of 4.4 gpm, so you have to have a good water supply. We pressure wash the 200 year old museum houses I look after every year or two with that one. It ran constantly for a whole week once blasting whitewash off the stones walls in a basement of an 1828 house. https://www.mitm.com/pressure-washer...505-4MGH/2094/

The other one I have is a small electric one, but also a Mi-T-M. I can highly recommend it for a homeowner. It came with an adjustable nozzle, which I don't like, so I changed the wand to use different fan width tips. It's a very nice little pressure washer, but won't do the work of a commercial one. https://www.pollardwater.com/product...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

The different fan width tips also are made in a number of different flow rates for different size washers, but you can use the different ones on any pressure washer. You can find just the right tip for the job by trying different flow ones for what you're working on. We use three different flow 25 degree, and 35 degree tips for different jobs so we don't erode wood, or take paint off that we don't want to.

Wands are also available in different lengths, as well as telescopic poles up to 24'. It takes a very strong person to run a high flow pressure washer with a 24' pole, and even then we have to take turns every few minutes.

I can answer about any question about pressure washers, or using them.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 07-27-2022 at 8:21 AM.

If you really want a good brand Northern Tool has their Northstar pressure washers, but they start at $799 with a Honda GX engine. A bit much for occasional home use.

After years and years of using a Husky brand pressure washer from HD that had a small honda engine on it, I replaced it with one of these last year: https://www.bepowerequipment.com/pre...pe-4013hwpsgen

https://www.bepowerequipment.com/

I added two 50' hoses, including one that is a no-mar hose, two different length wands, and a flat surface cleaner like this one: https://www.bepowerequipment.com/pre...way/85-403-009

From what I gather, the pump and the engine are the two main factors to consider. My prior Husky had a nice honda motor, but the pump was a joke, even though it had brass construction. The pump is what finally died on that one. It was tiny and not repairable. The new one has a huge pump with bypass features and other niceties. Plus you can get rebuild kits and parts for these larger pumps. Overkill for sure, but I hate pressure washing only second to painting so anything that helps me do a better job faster is a good thing. I use it to help take care of 4 different properties that have concrete drives, sidewalks, and porches, so lots of surface area. I found the brand at a local power equipment store that sold stuff like Grasshopper, Makita, Husqvarna, etc. Worth a look if you want a nice power washer.

Simpson is another brand that has similar pressure washers with larger commercial pumps and honda GX engines. Home depot even carries them if you order it. Here is one example with a nice CAT triplex pump: https://www.homedepot.com/p/SIMPSON-...4240/300912624

Good luck with your selection!!
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 07-27-2022 at 8:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    If you really want a good brand Northern Tool has their Northstar pressure washers, but they start at $799 with a Honda GX engine. A bit much for occasional home use.
    Mine is from Nothhern too, was about $900. Excellent, always starts, very powerful. I use it a lot to clean packed dirt and red clay from the skid steer, excavator, tractor. Might have to use carefully on automobile paint and wooden decks - it would easily remove a layer from the wood surface of used unwisely. Read the equipment manuals too, they specify the pressure, distance, and nozzle type to avoid forcing water into places where it can cause damage.

Ones important thing - if any pressure washer it’s left where it can freeze the pump is in risk of damage. Use a winterizing kit. I keep mine in the barn where water doesn’t freeze in this climate.

Blog Entries
    Another vote for the M-T M. Very compact. 3000 psi, 2.4 gpm Honda GC190 engine. I use it often with a Ryobi rotating deck washer.
    NOW you tell me...

I bought a used Landa electric at a flea market. It has a real TEFC motor and is great. I need to rebuild the oddball pump. It is a true 1hp and if you use a small (#14) extension cord it will blow breakers after 15 minutes or so. probably 50% more power then the high speed dc motor stuff made by everyone else
    Bill D..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 07-27-2022 at 10:23 AM.

Electric is WAY under-rated. Think of the advantages:
    - no gas to deal with
    - no pull starting
    - no oil changes, air filters, spark plugs, fuel filters
    - quieter
    - no exhaust
    - doesn't get hot
    - instant start
    - low cost to idle
    - fewer parts to wear/brake

Now think of the downsides
    - need an electric supply. Well, if you're already hooked to a water source, how hard is it to hook to power?

The only reason gas power washers exist at homeowner-grade is because most people can't easily get 240V power (which is realistically needed for a 5HP or 7.5HP motor). But if you can solve that, it becomes pretty obvious that gas power washers make no sense. Sure, for something like a lawn mower that needs to be portable, gas engines are logical - but for a power washer that is already tethered by a hose? Electric is way better.

If you can find a used power washer (ideally something with a triplex or otherwise commercial-duty pump) and bad engine, swapping an electric motor to it could be a fun project.

I've built a few. 5HP motor, triplex ceramic pump, unloader valve, then whatever accessories you want (hose, cart, etc).

There are absolutely advantages to good 240 volt pressure washers, but the good ones are $1000 plus for a new one. Then you have to wire up a 240 volt outlet to run them on. I never went electric because most of them are the crappy $100 to $200 ones that don't have great pressure or volume.

I got a nice gas pressure washer with Honda GX engine at HD on clearance at a time HD was giving 30% on clearance items. That was 15 or more years ago. I hate gas for infrequently used power equipment. My Echo gas chainsaw hadn't been used in a number of years and still had gas in it. Of course, it would not start the other day. I mostly use an Ego battery chainsaw now, but some trees need the power of gas.

Electric could be great if you have power at every single location or only use at one location. You'll need adequate hose or cord length to deal with it also since most people are not going to have 240v outlets all around their property. I prefer gas for the simple fact of portability.

Regarding chainsaws, we have a 40v ryobi that does great for some things....................... until the two batteries run out. However, my Stihl 261 runs non-stop as long as I keep putting fuel and oil in it. Again, battery has it's uses but so does gas.

The world is not ready to abandon gas powered equipment, vehicles, etc. Battery technology still isn't advanced enough and electric has it's limitations in some cases.