Thread: Hinging chest lid so it closes flush with sides/back

Hinging chest lid so it closes flush with sides/back

Hey all––I'm building a blanket chest and am trying to figure out the best hinge to use so that when closed, the lid sits level with the sides and back of the chest, like this one here from another furniture retailer:
    Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 10.37.49 PM.jpg
    This chest has a piano hinge, and as you can (maybe) see from the image, the knuckles are visible when the lid is closed. I'd like to avoid this if possible, so I'm wondering if that rules out the use of butt hinges. Does anyone here know of/have experience using a hinge that would lend itself well to being installed with one leaf on the back edge of the lid and one on the inside face of the chest? Thanks y'all!

The chest in the image I attached above, for non-subscribers––
    https://huntandnoyer.com/products/haven-blanket-chest

To me the problem is it’s too much like a crate. I understand that the design is modern and some will like it, but it is shallow like a coffin.
    There are lots of old notes of guys making their own coffins as apprentices and using them as tool chests….right up to “lights out”. I would
    eliminate the modern legs and use traditional apron and feet at bottom, and that gives more space. Years ago I saw a couple of write ups about even heating and
    bending hinges to accommodate chests , but now there are plenty of hinges for blanket chests for sale.

Any butt hinge, piano hinges included, is going to require the pin to be above the surface of the frame and door in your application*. What you want is a concealed inset hinge for frameless applications, like the Blum® 95° Thick Door Clip Top Frameless Inset Hinge. These are designed for vertical door applications, but a heavy duty one like that mentioned can be used in a horizontal application. It's not a great way to build a blanket chest lid, though - dirt is going to get into the margin around the door all the time, and from there under the door and into the chest. A chest should really have a lid that covers the entire top, either with or without a side lap.

* (added later) Technically, this isn't so. You could use narrow butt or piano hinges with mounted flush to the top surface of both the sides and lid, but it wouldn't be a good install. If the lid were over rotated much beyond 90o (straight up), the leverage of the lid will either break the hinges, or more likely the sides of the box, as the rotation "pries" the hinges upward.
    Last edited by Steve Demuth; 07-27-2022 at 9:41 AM.

make your own recessed (in back ) wood hinges to match the corner joinery?
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

The issue with the hinge is that it needs to be fairly substantial to manage a solid wood lid.

Here is a blanket chest - "kist" - I built a dozen years ago. This uses butt hinges, which are not seen from the front. (Remove the breadboard ends if you wish).

Barely seen from behind ...

If you like hiding things ...

... there is a hidden drawer in the base moulding ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 07-27-2022 at 10:35 AM.

Hi Kellyn,

Welcome to Sawmill Creek. I like your design. I has sound joinery and clean lines.

You may be able to adapt invisible door hinges from Soss for your application. Lining them up accurately would be tricky.

https://www.soss.com/product/model-504-wrap-around-invisible-hinge-2/#tab-title-dimensions

This particular model opens to 92 degrees. I would not rely on that alone to support the lid when open. I would add some lid stays. Brusso makes nice ones. You would want the large ones.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/hardware/box-hardware/stays/40477-brusso-lid-supports?item=01B0605&utm_source=free_google_shopp ing&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=shopping_feed& gclid=Cj0KCQjwxIOXBhCrARIsAL1QFCYUppUa_ujSKtvue5Vu fiR1gN2RDngFq1j4EUiR6SY2wBJmjOSiGPkaAkmAEALw_wcB

If you wish to join the group more fully with the privilege of posting and viewing photos, I will be happy to pay the annual fee on your behalf. Not a big deal, it is only $6. I would love to see how your project turns out.

TW
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson; 07-27-2022 at 10:40 AM.

Look into a class of hinges called bench hinges. They are specifically designed for this purpose. Here's an example. https://www.kitchensource.com/cabine...643.01.515.htm It is completely invisible when the top is closed. It also allows the bench back to touch the wall at all times; the hinge has a compound linkage which pulls the back of the top forward as the top is opened. Conventional single-pin hinges cannot do this.

For an invisible application Sugatsune makes an adjustable hinge similar to Soss hinges which may work for you. I would suggest using a chain stay to avoid stressing the hinges in the open position.https://www.sugatsune.com/product-ca...abinet-hinges/

Another vote for invisible hinges.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Ah! Very good point re: dirt getting into the chest through the gap between the lid and the back of the chest.

Gorgeous chest Derek. I’ll consider the butt hinges!

Thomas, what a sweet offer! You are very kind. Don’t worry about it, though, I intend to join soon and the fee shouldn’t be an issue for me. Those Soss hinges & lid stays look exactly like what I need. But yes, I agree it seems tricky to line up the hinges correctly. Hmm…

Great alternative to the Soss hinges! Thanks!

One more way to go would be a birdhouse hinge. Just drive a nail thru each end into the lid. You will have to round over the back edge of the top. This works great for the front of a birdhouse so you can clean it out. Something more substantial than nails will be needed but the design is functional.