Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hickory Lumber Questions

"The dealer I got this from isn't real specific on grades, I'm just assuming it would likely be one of the common grades" What does that mean? You just buy whatever he has and the grade is not shown or listed anywhere? You need a better dealer to be assured you get what you paid for!

There's not a lot of choice in my area, it's pretty rural.

Its hard to tell exactly, but the dark streaks look like they have checks/cracks, is that correct? I drew red lines where i think i see checks/cracks. If that is the case, it might be specific to hickory, but it also looks like shake to me. Shake can be caused by bacterial infection, which causes the growth rings to separate, and it would also cause discolored streaks in the wood. This is something i would avoid at all costs and not build with. People might like the streaks and character, but the boards are unsuitable for building with. A board with shake can be dropped and just shatter. Its very weak wood.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Patrick, some of those streaks do, but not all. What you describe sounds like what I'm seeing though and makes sense.

I got 75 board feet of 8/4 hickory from Steve Wall Lumber today. It's so much nicer than what I had before.

Blog Entries
    Ive only used hickory nice. A local veteran rehab place needed some platforms to teach injured vets how to jump curbs in their wheelchairs. I knew that one edge of the platform was going to take a lot of punishment so I used hickory along that edge. I also screwed on the hickory from underneath instead of gluing it. If it ever wears out, I can replace just that part.

I enjoyed working with the hickory. There’s a certain satisfaction in making something that should withstand a lot of punishment.

Blog Entries
    Hickory cabinets showed up in stock at our Lowes about 10 years ago. The boxes were particle board and the faces and doors were solid Hickory, with lots of character. My first response was rather cool. They were so affordable that several of my clients had me install them. One job was a full kitchen and it turned out looking very nice and is just right in their neat old house.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Jason that is a very nice looking chair. I like how you used the sapwood. The seat is beautiful.