Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

25 Jul 2022

Greetings,
    My son finally decided on the bed rail fasteners for his new bed. Now I get to drill the final holes and make the slats for the bed. Too hot and humid here in the shop this time of year, so I'll need to figure out working around the heat. The day job is keeping me pretty busy and I'm hoping it will slow down sometime very soon.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I hear you on the heat, Dennis...it's not quite like Arkansas here, but it's still been too hot and humid for my in the unconditioned temporary shop, for the most part. That said, I did take delivery of my new Harvey G700 DC last Thursday afternoon on the hottest day of the year...so far. (105ºF real feel) Fortunately, and as noted in the relevant thread in Workshops, the crate got dropped right in front of the big door...I didn't even need to use the Big Orange Power Tool to move it, and getting things set up was relatively easy. There are a few minor adjustments i need to make and that will be today as we have a little heat and humidity relief today. Took a drive on Friday afternoon to the new Rockler store in Moorestown NJ, only spending $102. LOL Also had a 'Creeker visit from Russell Shelly on Saturday and had a nice chat. Did more planning work for the new shop building, focusing on the electrical plan and BOM. I figure it's good to be prepared, even if the deeds are still a couple months away. Ordered my replacement sliding table saw from SCM and the anticipated delivery date is a few weeks after the projected time that the new shop will have the floor completed.

This week I'm just doing more of the same as well as working on a nasty tendonitis issue in my right hip, likely from over-exertion helping with the rocks and sticks as the lot next door was regraded after the house was demolished. I have a tendency to "work hard" in such situations and it bit me this time for sure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I finished up all the trim and installed the closet doors in the hallway. I only have a few remaining tasks before I can call the current remodeling project done. I have to paint the inside of the front door, fill a bunch of nail holes in the stained trim, and build some big rollouts for a hall closet. And we are still waiting on carpet for the family room to come in a be installed, but that's not on me. The slides I ordered for the closet came in so next step is to build five 24x27x4.5 "drawer boxes" and a frame to support the slides inside the closet. I think I'll just build a self-supporting frame in the shop where it will be easy to get everything nice and square and plumb, and then move it into the closet and fasten it to the walls as needed for stability. Not exactly a fine furniture project, but it'll be nice to work in the shop for a while.

After that we spent a few days in southern Ohio and northern Kentucky visiting Mary's sister and niece as a little mini vaca. We spent half a day at King's Island and got to see the 50th anniversary show with lasers, fountains, fireballs, fireworks, and two hundred drones all coordinated for the show. The drones were really cool and in the fireworks part of the show they shot off a couple that made square patterns in the sky, which I've not seen before. It was a great show and they are doing it at 10PM every evening, at least up until the actual anniversary in Sept.(I think) Mary and I haven't been to an amusement park in ages, but we had a good time. Mary's not much for "exciting" rides, but my BIL and I hit a few of the coasters while Mary and her sis stuck to milder rides.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I am building a window for the shed, lots of shaper work… safe arcs, Rod

I've lost my mo jo....

Turned 3 funnels last week and destroyed a 3 branched end grain vase turning. Disheartening. I did start a 8" walnut bowl and so far so good.

Worked on the water system for my plant nursery. Got stone pad built, covered tank in IBC tote with black plastic. Black plastic is to prevent algae growth in the water, Set tank, added pump and pressure tank. Filled tank, using garden hoses, and adjusted pressure on pump. Now I need to run permanent wiring. Changed out PumpTech on well, replaced it with a Low Pressure Cut Out switch. Checked pressure in bladder tanks (two.) One was low due to leaking Schradder Valve. In taking old valve out, it came apart, which meant I had to get tank out of well house so I could remove the broken off valve. Half hour job turned into a half day job, but I got it done. Sprayed front yard with Round Up, as it's mostly violets and moss with some (very little) grass. Finally got some rain, as since first of June we had less than an inch. A couple miles away it was a different story. Returned friend's lawn mower on which I replaced the carburetor. Went to dinner on Wednesday night with our small group from church. Made Zuchinni muffins a couple times.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 07-27-2022 at 10:09 PM.

Installed 7 drawers with Accuride slides. Now fiddling or fettling them into perfect alignment. Feeling very patient with this task.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Dixon View Post
    I've lost my mo jo....

Turned 3 funnels last week and destroyed a 3 branched end grain vase turning..
    Naa...it's not mo jo. That piece of wood just didn't want to become what you were asking it to be.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...