Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeking Advice for large used purchase

I met the seller in VA at a campground. We setup the RV, went through all the features to make sure everything worked.

We then went to Bank Of America, where I paid him and the Bank Representative set up the wire transfer and notarized a Bill Of Sale and the title.

I drove home, 500 miles, yesterday, used my new Diesel fuel card twice and saved $40 off the pump price.

The truck was amazing, running up long hills at 65mph, chugging along at 1700rpm. Most of the tie causing at 65mph at 1400rpm.

Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 08-06-2022 at 12:15 PM.

That looks like it's in great condition, Chris! 'Glad the transaction went well. Congratulations. Enjoy!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've been "RV-ing" since my dad bought our first Mercury 16' travel trailer around 1963. Since growing up we've owned a barely-usable camper, a Kit Companion 19' travel trailer, a 36' Chaparral 5th wheel, two CruiseAir motorhomes, a Winnebago, and for 12 years we've owned a 40' Allegro Bus. One thing that seems to hold true with all RV's, is if you look hard- sometimes not so hard, you'll find disappointing "who thought THAT up??" workmanship. Like drawer rails barely stapled to the 1/8" paneling in back, or overhead cupboard doors that hit the roof antenna crank... Our Allegro, which is a top tier rig, after we bought it I found water leaking from somewhere under the sink near the left-most edge of the cabinet. Turns out that whoever installed the flexible drain pipe cut the piece to fit while the kitchen slideout was OUT. Problem was, the drain line went around a cutout in the bulkhead on the moving wall before going thru the floor to the septic tank, and when the wall is moved IN, the distance between the bulkhead and the septic tank decreases, and the drain line wasn't cut quite long enough. Just driving the thing caused a hole to wear thru the drain line...

Other fun stuff, hidden water lines that at some point froze, propane tank regulators that leak, etc... Our Chaparral, it was our only home for a 9 month period, and after loading all the drawers up good, more than half of them caved in from back due to the single staple in most cases holding the rails on, giving out. I ended up driving a couple of small screws in their place. And while it was stated as being a "4 season" RV, and did have the water and septic tanks heated by forced-air furnace, someone forgot about the exposed-to-the-cold water lines feeding the kitchen and bathroom. Only a couple of inches of line was exposed, but when waking up after a 6° cold snap, we had zero water and risk of pipes bursting. A few disappointments but nothing real serious.

That all said, that Beacon looks like a NICE rig, never heard of it, just googled it: Made by Tiffin. GOOD choice! thumbsup.gif --Our Allegro is a Tiffin unit. The short drainline aside, the only problems we've had with this rig is the power inverter went out, and one of the electric heating elements in the Dometic refer had to be replaced, neither of which was Tiffin's fault, and I can say in all honesty it is the best built rig I've ever owned.

Good luck and enjoy!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

This one is just over a year old. One owner that only used it a handful of times, but spending some time with him on Thursday, he seems the real picky, "it needs to be just right" kind of guy.

Although it's out of factory warranty, it has two minor warranty issues that Vanleigh state they will honor and fix, so we've just go to arrange that.

Now I've got about 600 pages of manual to read.

Glad it went smoothly. Looks like a nice 5th wheel and nice tow vehicle. Looks like a lot of glamping in your future. I've saw where you have to make reservations a lot of places months in advance.