Thread: A middle table

A middle table

For years I've enjoyed my reclining sofa with a fold down console in the middle. It happens gradually and one day I realized that I was sitting "in" my sofa instead of on it. I decided to replace it with a couple of recliner chairs. Now I needed to replace that center console with a table and this is the result.

The table is 14" wide, 26" deep and 25" high. It is made of red oak but I had a small piece of cherry left over from another project that I used for the door and drawer front panels. I wanted a durable top surface and decided to use a piece of smoked glass inlaid in a wooden frame. The glass sits slightly proud to prevent wear on the wood if things get slid off. To cushion the glass and prevent items in the drawer from being seen I used a piece of picture matte board.

In order to keep the 9" x 15" door well proportioned to the cabinet size I used the Blum mini hinges. This allowed me to make the rails and stiles 1 3/8" wide by 5/8" thick.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work! I love making pieces like this that see regular, practical use. I have something like this next to my favorite chair, too. I especially like the way you shaped the legs.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Very nice. I like the details on the legs/stiles.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I agree with Lee and Fred! I really like the router details on the legs/stiles! Nicely done Sir!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 07-26-2022 at 4:27 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Really nice looking table.

Thank you all for your positive comments; I really appreciate it. I actually don't make too many "small" items like this but they are fun to work on.