Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: S7 or Exact 63?

I often browse the Scott and Sargeant website to drool over all the high end machinery. I like places that list prices so I can fantasize about what I'm probably not going to buy.

https://www.scosarg.com/new-machines/planers

Quote Originally Posted by Robert London View Post
    I often browse the Scott and Sargeant website to drool over all the high end machinery. I like places that list prices so I can fantasize about what I'm probably not going to buy.

https://www.scosarg.com/new-machines/planers

Thats interesting their list price for a T54 is converting to around $18,293. In stock too!

Well the beast is here, it has been a slow process, needed to move a few machines around (that Delta took the longest..prying bar with round bars) and being weekend need to take wife and kids out.

1.jpg

My truck is almost 6ft high internally. the box measures 6ft in xyz direction
    4.jpg

5.jpg

Its pretty big.
    6.jpg

after a number of hours of thinking and planning, this is where it should live... for now.
    3.jpg

4.jpg

The shaper now sits where the Felder combo used to sit.
    5.jpg

The ducting that was used for sander is now for the S7. almost perfect fit. if I put in a blast gate I maybe able to take out that flex.
    2.jpg

The cabling and wiring is very straight forward, but new to me, SCM offered technician to come on site but it will be a few days out, I plan to pop into SCM today to check out the wiring (both pneumatic and electronic) for the lift table, just to double confirm.

Congrats Albert. Looks like a beautiful machine.

You may have already said...what are the specs - motor size, cutterhead type?
    Still waters run deep.

Amazing looking machine Albert. Congratulations. I’ve never seen one with pneumatic adjustments for roller pressure. Fascinating. I didn’t know that existed.

Tiny little thing.... (Congrats!)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

it's a nice machine. albert, did you get the rubber infeed roller, or the serrated one? i can give you some pointers on the air pressure...

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Congrats Albert. Looks like a beautiful machine.

You may have already said...what are the specs - motor size, cutterhead type?
    Hi Phillip, its 9kw/410v, SCM's spiral cutter block, 2 outfeed rollers, it came with pneumatic controlled extension table, the rest of the spec are just standard SCM L'Invincibile's spec. all the optional items are included.

Quote Originally Posted by David Zaret View Post
    it's a nice machine. albert, did you get the rubber infeed roller, or the serrated one? i can give you some pointers on the air pressure...
    Thanks David! I think mine came with serrated one, its interchangeable roller anyway I am told. what pressure should I set/aim for the in/out roller? I deal with pine, 95% of the time.

What will higher pressure do? what will lower pressure do? this is so new to me.

I've just finishing wiring up the extension table, the machine is fully functional now.

Just a few more screws and cover plate to put back.
    9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

no no - the OUTFEED roller is interchangeable. i tried to swap the infeed roller with the rubber roller, and that's effectively impossible. SCM took it back because they agreed it was effectively impossible. there was some confusion early on, but i can say from experience, that is a factory option, not a "swap the roller yourself" option.

the infeed roller pressure should be set very low - barely off zero. i have the outfeed set about half way on the gauge. if you dial the infeed pressure up, and take less than ~.5mm off, you'll see the marks from the roller on your finished edge. now, i have a segmented infeed roller, and yours appears to be solid, so you may not see the same thing i'm seeing, but, that's my experience.

i run tersa knives in my machine, and you have the spiral head. the tersas give absolutely exceptional cut quality, and i would expect yours to do at least as well, if not better. this machine is a monster, and you can throw a lot at it - i've had 12', 20" wide 8/4 white oak boards hanging out the end, running at damn near full speed, taking off 1/8" in a pass, and it doesn't blink.

enjoy - reach out if you have any questions.

-- dz

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Lee View Post
    Thanks David! I think mine came with serrated one, its interchangeable roller anyway I am told. what pressure should I set/aim for the in/out roller? I deal with pine, 95% of the time.

What will higher pressure do? what will lower pressure do? this is so new to me.

I've just finishing wiring up the extension table, the machine is fully functional now.

Just a few more screws and cover plate to put back.
    9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

albert - in looking at your pictures, you do in fact have a single solid serrated infeed roller, different than mine. it might be able to be swapped. the split roller i have... not possible. so, YMMV.

-- dz

no no - the OUTFEED roller is interchangeable. i tried to swap the infeed roller with the rubber roller, and that's effectively impossible. SCM took it back because they agreed it was effectively impossible. there was some confusion early on, but i can say from experience, that is a factory option, not a "swap the roller yourself" option.

the infeed roller pressure should be set very low - barely off zero. i have the outfeed set about half way on the gauge. if you dial the infeed pressure up, and take less than ~.5mm off, you'll see the marks from the roller on your finished edge. now, i have a segmented infeed roller, and yours appears to be solid, so you may not see the same thing i'm seeing, but, that's my experience.

i run tersa knives in my machine, and you have the spiral head. the tersas give absolutely exceptional cut quality, and i would expect yours to do at least as well, if not better. this machine is a monster, and you can throw a lot at it - i've had 12', 20" wide 8/4 white oak boards hanging out the end, running at damn near full speed, taking off 1/8" in a pass, and it doesn't blink.

enjoy - reach out if you have any questions.

-- dz

fyi, here's what my infeed roller looks like:

5F4F7BA6-54CD-41F2-BAE0-8F637CA91D6D_1_105_c.jpg

whats the point of having a solid sectional infeed?

albert - in looking at your pictures, you do in fact have a single solid serrated infeed roller, different than mine. it might be able to be swapped. the split roller i have... not possible. so, YMMV.

-- dz

yes. I have a solid serrated infeed. I am not sure the advantage of swapping the serrated to the outfeed and rubber to the infeed?

you can feed different thicknesses of wood at the same time otherwise the roller may be held up by a taller piece and not feed the thinner one.