Thread: Asphalt sealer over concrete

Asphalt sealer over concrete

The thread about driveway sealing got me thinking about using it over concrete. I know it is not done but I don’t know why. My garage apron is concrete that is spalling in places with some areas looking pretty unsightly. With proper prep why wouldn’t asphalt sealer adhere to concrete and thereby solve the problem?

It will probably sort of work, but then look even worse as the ongoing spalling reveals white patches in the black sealer.

I think it will become a regular job forever after. If the apron is the only place it's spalling, I'd cut that out and replace it, never to have to worry with it again.

I've had some luck patching concrete driveway spalling. Using patch mix from the big box, and using concrete adhesive as the liquid part of the mix. Its lasted about 4 years now. Its just ugly because the color doesnt match.
    < insert spurious quote here >

I was thinking of having the whole apron covered with sealer. Think I’ll consult with a professional and see what they say. Problem I see is the possibility of the concrete continuing to break down under the sealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    The thread about driveway sealing got me thinking about using it over concrete. I know it is not done but I don’t know why. My garage apron is concrete that is spalling in places with some areas looking pretty unsightly. With proper prep why wouldn’t asphalt sealer adhere to concrete and thereby solve the problem?

I have that issue with a long drive. And, am considering a fix. The spalling is deep enough to require a surfacer patch before sealing. My thinking is that the original spalling was caused by water absorption and freezing. Maybe the sealer will prevent the surface absorption that started this. The drive is about 50 years old and has some surface damage that is around a full inch deep.