Thread: New Drill Press

New Drill Press

I'm looking to purchase a new Nova drill press. When I inquired at Rockler regarding availability, I was told that is no longer a concern. I have my doubts, and thought I'd run it by the folks here. I would very much appreciate any knowledgeable replies. Thanks, Vince.

Check Amazon. They show the Viking benchtop as “In Stock.”

If you want to buy from Rockler and they say there is no supply issue...sounds like an opportunity to buy. That said, online they do appear to indicate it may be on backorder with that little checkbox to acknowledge the same.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I ordered my nova voyager in November through a local dealer. I just got it about a month ago. My dealer now has 2 in stock. Supposedly a large shipment of them came in from over seas ealry May. This could be a possible reason why the availability is good right now but I suspect that they will likely sell them and be waiting again.

I bought mine from CPO outlet's Ebay store. Arrived in a week with free shipping.

I think I bought mine direct from the company, but they're local so it really wasn't a big deal at all. Love it, BTW.

A quick online check near me on their website shows 3 local dealers who would sell it: Woodcraft, Infinity Tools, and Glenco Machinery (a little farther away). Check their website. You might get a pleasant surprise regarding local availability.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I was in a Woodcraft a few months ago and overheard a conversation about the chip shortage affecting the manufacture of the Nova drill presses. Hopefully things will get back to normal soon.
    I have had mine about 5 years and love it, but if some old iron was available at the time it would be tempting.

A note on pages that say "free shipping" on tools such as these (i.e. drill press, belt sander, etc.). They are all usually anywhere from 60 lbs up to 400-500 lbs. Anything that says "free shipping" really isn't. The shipping is just built into the price. For example, take the Jet JSG-6CS closed stand belt/disc sander. On Amazon, it's listed as $2179 with free shipping from the CT Power Tools seller. On Rockler, it's $1899 with $170 shipping. On Woodcraft, it's $1899 with $99 shipping. Overall, the "free shipping" offering actually has the highest price. Woodcraft has excellent prices (their charter is to just pass along their own discounted shipping costs from the manufacturer since everything is drop-shipped directly anyways). You might just have to wait a while for the Woodcraft product availability.