Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smocks and Aprons

Smocks and Aprons

To preserve domestic tranquility, it is mandatory that I cease tracking chips into the house and that my shirt pockets and pants pockets stay clean of chips. Even my cell phone which stays in a pants pocket is filthy with chips. Apron or Smock? Brand?

I've done the google search and there are, of course, many options. My requirements are:
    covers front pockets
    keeps chips off the neck area and from coming down the neck of the shirt
    long enough to keep pant's pockets clean
    Preferably fairly light. I'm in the south and it's hot!
    All thoughts valued. Apron vs Smock?
    Thanks

I buy windbreakers from thrift stores. Cut the sleeves off at the elbow. When they get dirty I buy another.

Look at the smocks sold by Craft Supplies USA and those sold by the AAW. I have both. I prefer those from CSUSA, but it’s a slight preference.

I wear a second hand cycling top I purchased off eBay
    It is light ,breathable, a zip in the front prevents saw dust going down the neck area and it has pockets in the rear
    Being short sleeved provides the additional safety feature , it cannot get caught on a spinning lathe
    There is also 3 pockets at the rear one is a zip pocket where you can keep your phone
    It may be worth considering buying a larger size for added comfort as a loose fitting top may be a little cooler

example

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195223826...f&LH_Auction=1
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 07-24-2022 at 6:08 AM.

Another vote for the CSUSA smock. It is light weight, and short sleeved, and I am one of those hot people. I have heard of people using the full cover Tyvek painters suits. That would be too hot for me. I do sweep off my socks as a broom will get most of that off, and probably change your shoes. Cell phone stays out of harm's way, and not in any pocket, except some times, I have it in my shorts pocket, which is covered by the smock.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Nordyke View Post
    To preserve domestic tranquility, it is mandatory that I cease tracking chips into the house
    I bought a Lab Coat off amazon and cut the sleeves off at the elbow. ... makes me look purdy smart too

Count my vote for Craft Supplies USA. Check it out at https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/search?term=smock. - John

Many years ago I bought both weights of smocks from Craft Supplies - and rotated wearing them both from winter thru Summer. They're good utility smocks. They still hang near the lathe. Then with a move further north, I bought a long sleeve smock from the Tool Post in the UK. Its my cold weather wear - heavy and warm with long sleeves tight at the wrists, great pockets and a padded collar. But for the rest of the year I've found the AAW Smock bought at the last Portland symposium a few years ago is my favorite of all. Lightweight and full cut it protects from shavings while almost disappearing...I got it big enough to fit a heavy sweatshirt under for winter wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I do sweep off my socks as a broom will get most of that off, and probably change your shoes.

robo hippy
    For years I've been running shorts in hot weather, always have grass cutting gaiters over the socks and tops of the shoes.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/bata-kha...boots_p3360739

My go to smock is from Timberbits: https://www.timberbits.com/timberbits-smock-green.html

Yes, not in the US, but it converts favorably into USD, and ships quickly.

I bought one from AAW and was disappointed to find shavings stick to it.

In the summer I use a Harbor Freight welding apron. It is open back and no sleeves so not too hot.

45193_W3.jpg
    It works well for only $15.

In the winter I use a biker leather jacket I bought at the thrift store and tossed in the washing machine because it stunk. I use the biker jacket a lot for welding. It is much better than those leather welding sleeves that always get in the way.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 07-27-2022 at 3:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Rose View Post
    My go to smock is from Timberbits: https://www.timberbits.com/timberbits-smock-green.html

Yes, not in the US, but it converts favorably into USD, and ships quickly.
    Well bummer. They looked nice but they are out of X-large.

I wear a bicycle racing shirt that I got at a thrift store. There's an elastic pocket at my lower back for my phone and I find I get very little dust and shavings in it. I can zip it up at the neck and it is cooler to wear here in coastal NC.

Too hot for me to wear an apron.

Not an issue for me I do a quick blow off with compressed air before going back to the house.