Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened to the Grizzly Polar Bear Series?

Blog Entries

What happened to the Grizzly Polar Bear Series?

I’m looking at a used Grizzly G0454PX planer.
    I see they no longer have the Polar Bear series and didn’t find anything as to why they quit with it.

Does anyone know why they discontinued it?

Probably because there's not enough sea ice left for them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    ROFLOL!!

-----

Eric, "marketing series" come and go with these mass market machery purveyors. The same has occurred with Jet, Delta, etc., over time. The tools themselves tend to be the same machine as the regular version with just some additional features tacked on and maybe different paint.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    I vote this comment of the week, humourous, and yet sadly reflective of an actual problem…..Regards, Rod

Yeah, who wants to hook their wagon to a species heading towards extinction!

Where was the Polar Bear series manufactured?

It may be the factory is closed so Grizzly isn't advertising it currently because the manufacture to store lag time can't be determined currently.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken, I doubt that's the reason. These "series" tend to come and go over time. As mentioned previously, they are a big marketing/promotion thing based on the principle that they may have additional features that the standard offering doesn't come with and/or different paint and "incentive pricing" for the same.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Didn't Grizzly buy a whole brand of machines within the past couple years? I'm not remembering the brand name. But I think the speculation at the time was that this would become Grizzly"s premium line. If so, perhaps it collided with the Polar Bear line.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Didn't Grizzly buy a whole brand of machines within the past couple years? I'm not remembering the brand name. But I think the speculation at the time was that this would become Grizzly"s premium line. If so, perhaps it collided with the Polar Bear line.
    You're likely thinking of their South Bend line, and it could be that they think they have too many brands, and it's confusing to people.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    You're likely thinking of their South Bend line, and it could be that they think they have too many brands, and it's confusing to people.
    Actually, Grizzly also owns & markets Shop Fox. Grizzly is their factory direct arm & Shop Fox is their retail store brand. If you look at the features closely, they're almost the same machines with a little tweaking to differentiate.

Like others mentioned, brands with often put a couple tweaks in to stimulate sales. I hated Jet's blue line of tools 20 years ago, but I bought their white Anniversary version when it came out. Grizzly had featured some of their stuff in black, and the Polar Bear version in white (which I prefer - both over their usual green).

When I got my 5hp Grizzly 21" in March of '20 (I went to the show room in Bellingham the week COVID restrictions started), I was able to compare the Grizzly ones in person with the Shop Fox ones. It came down to cost, shipping charges & the discount offered by Grizzly that week).

I was always of the impression that the main difference in the Polar Bear series was the paint color.
    David

They still make some PB series. I have this collector and you can still buy it today.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...series/g0548zp

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Wolfy View Post
    Actually, Grizzly also owns & markets Shop Fox.
    Yes, I'm aware, but that is not the brand they recently bought which is what the comment I was replying to was referencing. So Grizzly has Shop Fox, Polar Bear, Anniversary, and now South Bend. South Bend is also in a white and blue color scheme, which is potentially confusing with the Polar bear white. I'd guess that since the Polar Bear white is an internal brand with less recognition that South Bend, that they're likely moving that brand/product to another color/naming scheme, assuming they continue it. Unlike their South Bend brand, which appears to be high end versions, I'm not aware of any distinguishing theme with the Polar Bear series, and I'm probably better informed than the typical customer.

Shop Fox white + black stripes is also potentially a bit confusing to customers, but the different channels usually help with that. The Anniversary branded stuff has mostly been sold off/out.

Paint color preys on our desire to have things that match. Just got a very lightly used dishwasher and microwave off CL for that very reason.

And I'll 'plus' whatever on the sea ice comment :-)

Blog Entries
    Thanks all! I realize there's a lot of marketing going on.

I do like the white with green much better than the all green. I'm pretty sure the white produces a smoother finish - I'm sure all of you would agree ;-)! It's a shame there isn't enough sea ice left.