Thread: Anybody built a Chimney Swift tower?

Anybody built a Chimney Swift tower?

Thinking about building a Chimney Swift tower at the new house. We have noticed several of the birds here and want to attract more. Already have a bat house (not yet put in its new location) and have plans for some purple martin houses. The addition of the Swift tower hopefully will give us numerous birds to eat nuisance insects, plus they are fun to watch. In addition they are becoming somewhat endangered because of the decline of nesting chimneys in homes and factories.

Tower is basically a faux chimney built with typical house construction material, T1-11 siding, vinyl siding, trim,etc. about 18"x18" 12ft tall.
    Looks like basic stuff. Just wondering if anyone has built one and would like to share their thoughts.

Thanks.

I haven't, but it sounds like a great idea. I don't want anything with vinyl siding anywhere I need to look at it though, I'd probably cover it with cedar shingles.

Blog Entries
    Search for birdhouse building sites. Many birds like their entry to be a specific size. This keeps larger birds from raiding their nests.

We have swallows in my area. My recollection is they like a 1-1/4" entry way.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Search for birdhouse building sites. Many birds like their entry to be a specific size. This keeps larger birds from raiding their nests.

We have swallows in my area. My recollection is they like a 1-1/4" entry way.

jtk

Oh, there is a specific design for these towers, I found it in the book "Chimney Swift Towers", but the design drawings are probably free online. The top of the tower has an 6'x11' opening facing north. The book says the design is based on years of research. I plan to stick with their basic interior design but enhance the outside to match the design look of the new house. (No vinyl siding).

We have one. The fire place chimney.

I used to be a member of PVAS when I lived in the area. They had a program to build a tower in anticipation of the destruction of a roosting site. Lots of good links and info in this article. https://www.potomacaudubon.org/conse...chimneyswifts/
    Sounds like a good project. I'm just down the road from you in Mebane now.
    Last edited by Paul Saffold; 07-25-2022 at 7:18 AM. Reason: missing word

Design it so the poop can be easily cleaned out for garden fertilizer. Many ancient towers like this are good solid farm producers for centuries. Same as bat caves managed correctly.
    Bill D.

https://www.amusingplanet.com/2014/1...s-of-iran.html