Thread: Issue with an old Grizzly G1182 Jointer

Issue with an old Grizzly G1182 Jointer

Picked one of these up recently on a decent deal, but just needed some rust cleanup on the tables, fence and cutter head. I got the whole thing broken down, then back together without much issue.

However now when I try to set the knives at the recommended height (1/8" above the gib), either with a dial indicator or the Grizzly gauge listed specifically for the model, the knives will catch on the outfield table when properly aligned.

I can get it to work with the knives set a hair under 3/32". Not sure if this is going to cause an issue, but also just a bit of an oddity and wondering if others have ever run into this.

Could you include a picture of the knife setup. I set all my knives the same height then set the outfeed table height to the blades. Never had a problem with blade not clearing the outfeed table. Others may be able to advise on lower than 1/8 height clearance. I think mine are definitely lower than 1/8 and never had any problem. Brian
    Last edited by Brian Runau; 07-23-2022 at 7:00 PM.
    Brian

Blog Entries
    I have never used the gib as a reference point in setting knives. Maybe it's just my experience level. I install the knives so that they are just about even with the outfeed table. This relationship can be reached through knife height or table adjustment.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Can the oufield table move up and down or is it fixed? If it is fixed it was made wrong. Are there any shims under the bearing blocks you can remove.
    Bill D

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I figured out my problem. I was able to get things setup by using a Jointer Pal to get the knives/outfeed set.

I think the main issue is that I have an older Gen 1 G1182, which apparently uses a larger cutter head. But the manual and knife gauge from Grizzly are based on the newer model which uses a smaller cutter head. So when trying to set the knives like it was the smaller head, it wasn't working.