Thread: trace out a full sized diagram of a jeep profile

trace out a full sized diagram of a jeep profile

using Logic Trace 2022 I am going to trace a jeep profile and cut it out using the CO2 laser from acrylic,
    wood and hardboard , but most interesting I am going to cut it out as a piece of jewelry, a jeep brooch
    from stainless steel using a 300watt CO2 laser with oxygen

https://stankern.vids.io/videos/799e...a-jeep-profile
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks great. I keep meaning to make a similar off camber CJ5 image for wall decor. Having owned CJ5's for over half my life, it's about time I get around to doing it, but I always find other projects to do first!
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

At the price of that software and tablet /table I would just put in my scanner and trace in Coral Draw!
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

The Logic Trace system provides a method to produce vector graphics, most scanners produce bitmap files. If you want to use a CNC Router, Mill or Laser Engraver to cut or machine projects you must have vector files. Tracing also provides a means to create very accurate projects for custom machining to produce gaskets and other parts where a precision fit is required. Of course the vector files can be easily increased or decreased in size using software with very accurate results. Tracing the actual part on the Logic Trace board is what makes the system so valuable and easy to use when you require accurate machining files.

The system is a bargain at the current price, I have the 36" by 48" board and it has opened up a lot of new business opportunities for my sign shop and lots of projects that are not traditional sign work.

One of my "Just for Fun" projects.
    IMG_1568 sm.jpg

This version of Frosty the Snowman was originally a 4" tall Christmas ornament I laser cut and engraved a couple of years ago, this year it was scaled up to a large size CNC project for a home decoration.
    Frosty Large.jpg

Most programs that do tracing of images can save in a Vector format. The snowman could have been scaled up or re-drawn as simple as it is. For the price of that complete system plus another $10k you can a good professional grade 3D scanner that architects would love to use in reproducing objects.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I have used both Corel Draw and Aspire to convert bitmaps to vector images and I admit that it works. The results of converting a bit map is not comparable to the quality and accuracy of any file generated by using a digital board, at least on my skill level. I have no doubt that a $12,000.00 scanner will produce professional results for architects whose budgets are at that level. A digital board is within the budget of most small shop owners who use CNC Routers and Laser Engravers.

One thing I might add i have been using this software (older) since about 2008
    Back then it was the rage to use autocad but with the amount of different woodworking projects I was doing autocad was like greek each time i used it
    And each time I was self taught and forgot quickly
    Along came logic trace and i was an expert each time (at least i got good results) and it was just turning it on trace and produce a file for the cnc or laser
    So I have been using it ever since
    stan kern

For us:
    One of the easier ways to copy an item is to make a photo. After this you can use the jpg, pdf or many other formats to bring into higher end cad programs like Rhinoceros and many others. It's simple to import the file place the imported item into the background or different layer and simply trace the item or items on the computer screen. Better programs will snap to various lines or points and you can scale at anytime as it is a vector or format as you've chosen. Personally do this a lot from 1/2" items to buildings. I have one of the logic trace roll up tables and software ( as well as older large fixed digitizers) and only find this faster if we have an actual physical part that is relatively simple to make and we are actually with the part in the shop. My $.02 (our facility has lasers, 3 axis cnc's, 4 axis cnc's and a cnc plazma cutter)