Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roughing Gouge and Oval Skew - Sharpening Technique Question

The issue for me was that repeated grindings with the v arm set at one place caused the bevel to contact imperceptibly lower each time. It’s fine at first when I was well above center.

But eventually my bevel contacted close enough to center that the wheel caught the tip and slammed the tool down. Scared me more than it hurt, but I was lucky.

Tool rest is better.

My Woodturners Wonders CBN wheels came with a warning not to use the V arm for SRGs. I guess because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    The main reason is that there is no support under the steel. With a tool anchored in the V arm and only the bevel touching the wheel, any imperfection in the wheel can be a dangerous dig in of the tool. It is easy to damage the tool or the wheel or both if rotated too far.
    CBN wheels don't have that issue, mostly happens on friable wheels.
    The other thing is that a SRG's bevel are not always in-line with the center of the handle. When rotating the tool, the bevel angle changes.
    This is the [Thanks Button], which I would press if this forum software had it... for your explanation, which all seems logical to me and particularly if sharpening on friable wheels.

Jason, I can also see that there might be a similar issue, if not quite to the same degree with CBN wheels... ie., if the tip of the tool gets caught between the wheel and whatever is holding the back end of the tool in position. That could happen at very low bevel tip angles that are very close to the tangent of the wheel and would apply more to V-arms that are not going to release the back end of the tool. A motor stall, bent slide arm and possibly even a bent grinding wheel shaft might be the outcome of such a jam.
    Last edited by Neil Strong; 07-28-2022 at 9:07 PM.
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

It can happen even on a wheel without imperfections like a cbn too.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Agreed, Prashun, I added some extra words with an edit to my previous post, thanks.
    Neil

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I’ve seen the scar in a CBN wheel from a spindle roughing gouge being sharpened in a v-arm. The geometry of the jig, wheel, and tool handle and bevel would be factors.

I’m glad it’s easy to sharpen the SRG safely with a simple angled platform.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I’ve seen the scar in a CBN wheel from a spindle roughing gouge being sharpened in a v-arm. The geometry of the jig, wheel, and tool handle and bevel would be factors.

I’m glad it’s easy to sharpen the SRG safely with a simple angled platform.

This is the [Thanks Button], which I would press if this forum software had it...
    Neil

Hi Reed
    Please see attached video Steve the woodturner sharpening his skew

The Skew Steve uses is an Asley Illes skew which has rounded edges From memory I think the skew is 1"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRQiSRPsFl9/?hl=en

If you click the arrow on the right in the short video it reveals a close up image of the skew
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 08-23-2022 at 5:58 AM.

I don't strop my skews and I get excellent finishes with them (I do hone between sharpenings with a diamond card). Does stropping really add significant improvement? (trying to keep it simple as my tiny shop is already overflowing with tools that I "need" ).
    Tom

Steve the woodturner is a professional turner based in the Uk
    Steve simply sharpens his skew on a 180 grit Cbn wheel by hand and achieves results we can only dream

I don't do much spindle work nowadays, but when I do I never strop my skews. The difference between stropping and not is so minimal that any difference will be gone with the first grit of abrasive, anyway. Like many others, I do use a fine diamond card several times at the lathe to refresh the edge before returning to the bench grinder wheel.

But, I have been periodically stropping/buffing the flutes on my gouges since playing around with the unicorn method of sharpening, which was primarily developed (by David Weaver) for flatwork bench tools. I found it was of no discernible benefit on gouge bevels, but definitely worth doing on gouge flutes that are in many cases in need of some grinding and polishing to remove the milling/grinding tracks left in the flutes from manufacture. It is cheap to set up, very quick to do, only taking a few seconds on a loaded buffing wheel, and, if done every half doze sharpenings of the bevel, will keep the flute tip smooth with the added benefit of keeping it clean of any buildup.
    Neil

Here are 2 more production turners from GB on https://www.instagram.com Their turning skill is phenomenal, not just with the skew. Both have short videos that they post often.

@davedalbywoodturning Dave uses a 5/8” round skew

@richard_findley Richard uses a 3/8” beading and parting tool as a skew even though he sharpens it straight across. It’s the angle the tool is presented to the wood that gives the skew cut.