Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: "Unboxing" - Harvey G700 DC

Mathew, the front facing inlet is literally connected to the impeller inlet a few inches back from the front of the unit. There would be no way to rotate it without completely repositioning the impeller and that would also mean a different design for the impeller, too. The air goes in from the front toward the back of the unit and comes out of the blower 90º toward the right to the separation devices.

----

Ezra, when you do your dB testing be sure you're consistent with the distance from the unit that the reference level is specified. Distance really does matter when measuring this. It's also relevant just to your ears. In my shop setup, I'm closest to the G700 when I'm operating my CNC machine, but I definitely have hearing protection on for that. When I'm using the J/P or slider, I'm about 18-25' feet from the unit with the J/P closer. I always have hearing protection on when using the J/P. At the slider...the DC isn't "quiet" but it's not overly annoying, either. I do have some sound conditioning in my new shop building that likely helps with some frequencies.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-10-2023 at 1:15 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This past week, I finally "bit the bullet" and cut out the grid in the G700 inlet. If I was using a jointer/thicknesser that had a typical spiral head with small cutters, this would not have been necessary. But I use Tersa knives and the (very nice and long) shavings too easily were blocking the inlet very frequently. The risk is obviously if I pick up something "chunky" with the system, so I'm going to treat it more like any impeller first unit and not do any floor sweeping with it. It's rare for "chunks" to hit the system from any other place. But this action should eliminate the frequent need to clean that inlet that interrupts the flattening and thicknessing "dance".

To be clear, I'm not faulting the machine, per se, as with the growing prevalence of multi-cutter machining heads which product small chips rather than long, stringy shavings, it's a moot point for many folks. I also anticipated that this would be a need from the start and just delayed "doing the deed" until now.
    --

One warning, the overflow alerts on my G800 are non-existent. I managed to fill the bins, fill the cyclones, fill the filter and it just stopped working. Took us a bit of time to discover just how much sawdust was in the machine. Once I cleared it out everything worked fine. I now check it manually often.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rutman View Post
    One warning, the overflow alerts on my G800 are non-existent. I managed to fill the bins, fill the cyclones, fill the filter and it just stopped working. Took us a bit of time to discover just how much sawdust was in the machine. Once I cleared it out everything worked fine. I now check it manually often.
    Not the case with my G700, at least so far...I can even hear the alarm with my hearing protection on and the unit running along with my J/P.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    This past week, I finally "bit the bullet" and cut out the grid in the G700 inlet. If I was using a jointer/thicknesser that had a typical spiral head with small cutters, this would not have been necessary. But I use Tersa knives and the (very nice and long) shavings too easily were blocking the inlet very frequently. The risk is obviously if I pick up something "chunky" with the system, so I'm going to treat it more like any impeller first unit and not do any floor sweeping with it. It's rare for "chunks" to hit the system from any other place. But this action should eliminate the frequent need to clean that inlet that interrupts the flattening and thicknessing "dance".

To be clear, I'm not faulting the machine, per se, as with the growing prevalence of multi-cutter machining heads which product small chips rather than long, stringy shavings, it's a moot point for many folks. I also anticipated that this would be a need from the start and just delayed "doing the deed" until now.
    I've been thinking of doing the same thing. It gets clogged quite a bit from the FS41e with Tersa knives too.
    chris

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Stahl View Post
    I've been thinking of doing the same thing. It gets clogged quite a bit from the FS41e with Tersa knives too.
    Same setup as my FS-350...just 60mm wider fluffy shavings than my machine.
    --