Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Unboxing" - Harvey G700 DC

Congratulations Jim!

I had the opportunity to start using this new DC today as I started a vanity project. Let's just say that the air flow is a "yuge, yuge yuge" difference over the previous SDD setup with the 1.5hp blower. So far, it's only pulled from the J/P and the table saw, but the result was very pleasing. Honestly, with the short network of 5" duct and hose, I probably could have dialed the speed back and had nearly as good performance with a slightly lower noise level. But that was the other impressive thing. It's not silent by any means. It has its own personal little roar. But the sound level and frequencies are not irritating at all, even though I was only a few feet from it with both tools I used.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

3. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Not so far....drilling 8 September and build 12-13 September. Electric service in next. Concrete after that in two stages; prep by them followed by foam insulation by me and then the pour later.
    Jim you are doing your own spray foam insulation? I’d like to hear more about that and the performance of the G700. I almost bought the G700 and sold my Clearvue but believe it or not backed out of selling in favor of using a vfd and 3 phase motor. I’m also a one man shop and if that G700 does indeed perform well especially with metal dusting then I may reconsider it.

Bryan, no, I'm not up for doing my own spray foam other than corner sealing. I'll get some more current quotes, however, once I'm closer to build. Getting response has been difficult and I may have to do the old fashioned thing and call on the phone repeatedly...

So far, I'm very pleased with the G700. Time will tell when the duct network gets a little longer.
    --

Hi Jim. I was actually considering the G700 for a new dust collector in my system. It does have a lot of benefits, but also some cons. I guess it depends on your needs and requirements. After researching the G700, there is a couple of things to be aware of:

- Since the impeller is before the axial centrifuge and filters, there is a possibility of metal items hitting the impeller (like any traditional dust collector).

- The speed control on the dust collector is a balancing act for some sources. Depending on the nature of the dust, the speed can be high enough where it pushes the dust all the way through to the filters (i.e. the dust never is able to fall into the two drop-outs into the dust bins). If you are running from a planer/jointer, this is not likely a problem because the dust chips are very heavy. However, on sanding machines, you could be sending all the dust through to the filters if the machine speed is too high. I have read some posts on users where their filters are completely clogged up from top to bottom with fine dust. Just something to be aware of. Based on the specs, the G700 has a much higher static pressure than even the Clearvue 5HP, so it's likely that sanding machines can be run using a lower G700 speed. Something you might have to experiment with.

A comment on noise: I know it's not going to be practical to build a sound isolation closet here. But you can definitely look at the reflection points. Putting sound panels on the walls right next to the G700 will help. Also, the concrete floor is a huge reflection point that boosts any noise. You could put a whole bunch of 1" thick rubber work mats on the flloor around the exhaust vents of the G700. That might help a tiny bit. There is other material that definitely work better as a sound absorber, but they are not really practical to put on the floor.
    Last edited by Aaron Inami; 08-13-2022 at 6:38 PM.

Aaron, there is an extensive plan for sound abatement in the new shop building to be implemented and yes, some of that will be focused on the G700 location in addition to general sound consideration in the shop. I'm actually quite pleased with it so far in my temporary gara-shop where I'm literally standing less than five feet from the G700 when using the table saw. With the J/P, which is even closer, it doesn't matter because I have to wear hearing protection anyway.

I appreciate the other comments and they are inline with the various reviews I, um...reviewed...while making my purchase decision. The only one that's going to require some care for me is the impeller being forward of the separation because historically, I'm a floor sweep user. A lot more care will have to be taken if I want to continue that to insure that there is no metal. But the few instances I do use a floor sweep are situations were no fasteners, etc., are likely to be present. (Lathe and CNC)
    --

Looks nice Jim, wondering about one of these for a far end of the shop machine instead of adding another huge pile of ducting. What's the chip/dust bin capacity?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Looks nice Jim, wondering about one of these for a far end of the shop machine instead of adding another huge pile of ducting. What's the chip/dust bin capacity?
    The bins are the equivalent of about 35 gallons, if I'm not mistaken. Not huge, but for "most folks", manageable. If you're doing a lot of jointing/thicknessing at that end of the shop, it might not be what you want for a production environment on that basis, but for general DC, it's a nice option that's compact, reasonably quiet and easy to maintain.

They do have a larger system, but it's big-bucks...I'd do another Oneida system for sure over that just based on cost.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 08-18-2022 at 9:42 AM.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The bins are the equivalent of about 35 gallons, if I'm not mistaken. Not huge, but for "most folks", manageable. If you're doing a lot of jointing/thicknessing at that end of the shop, it might not be what you want for a production environment on that basis, but for general DC, it's a nice option that's compact, reasonably quiet and easy to maintain.

They do have a larger system, but it's big-bucks...I'd do another Oneida system for sure over that just based on cost.
    Thanks Jim, your info and thread are appreciated. I like the "odd" designs' looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Thanks Jim, your info and thread are appreciated. I like the "odd" designs' looks.
    I like that I can put stuff above it in the new shop...which is where the compressor is going to live. There will be a deck about four feet of the ground...whatever is needed to clear the G700...to support the 60 gallon compressor in what is essentially the same footprint.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Inami View Post

A comment on noise: I know it's not going to be practical to build a sound isolation closet here. But you can definitely look at the reflection points. Putting sound panels on the walls right next to the G700 will help. Also, the concrete floor is a huge reflection point that boosts any noise. You could put a whole bunch of 1" thick rubber work mats on the flloor around the exhaust vents of the G700. That might help a tiny bit. There is other material that definitely work better as a sound absorber, but they are not really practical to put on the floor.
    Polypropylene Oriental rugs?
    9C0B8B02-C0A0-40B6-B5DA-9F7BDF11481F.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Dude...I'm already thinking serious about that since you originally posted about it! LOL
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    9C0B8B02-C0A0-40B6-B5DA-9F7BDF11481F.jpg

Looks like a showroom, amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Dude...I'm already thinking serious about that since you originally posted about it! LOL
    The idea is so ridiculous it borders on the sublime. I use an old Dyson upright for cleanup.

Remind me, Thomas...where did you scarf the rugs from?

This is actually a somewhat serious request because the source for all my existing anti-fatigue mats isn't within my shopping domain anymore for personal reasons.
    --